I never understood how to use Docker, what makes it so special? I would really like to use it on my Rapsberry Pi 3 Model B+ to ease the setup process of selfhosting different things.

I’m currently running these things without Docker:

• Mumble server with a Discord bridge and a music bot
  • Maubot, a plugin-based Matrix bot
  • FTP server
  • Two Discord Music bots

All of these things are running as systemd services in the background. Should I change this? A lot of the things I’m hosting offer Docker images.

It would also be great if someone could give me a quick-start guide for Docker. Thanks in advance!

• CyberSeeker
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Sorry if I’m about 10 years behind Linux development, but how does Docker compare with the latest FlatPak trend in application distribution? How you have described it sounds somewhat similar, outside of also getting segmented access to data and networks.

• towerful@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Docker is to servers, as flatpak is to desktop apps.
      I would probably run away if i saw flatpak on a headless server

• matcha_addict@lemy.lol
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Flatpak has better security features than docker. While its true it’s not designed with server apps in mind, it is possible to use its underlying “bubblewrap” to create isolated environments. Maybe in the future, tooling will improve its features and bridge the gap.

• kevincox@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

For desktop apps Flatpak is almost certainly a better option than Docker. Flatpak uses the same core concepts as Docker but Flatpak is more suited for distributing graphical apps.

1. Built in support for sharing graphics drivers, display server connections, fonts and themes.
      2. Most Flatpaks use common base images. Not only will this save disk space if you have lots of, for example GNOME, applications as they will share the same base but it also means that you can ship security updates for common libraries separately from application updates. (Although locked insecure libraries is still a problem in general, it is just improved over the docker case.)
      3. Better desktop integration via the use of “portals” that allow requesting specific things (screenshot, open file, save file, …) without full access to the user’s system.
      4. Configuration UIs that are optimized for the desktop usecase. Graphically tools for install, uninstall, manage permissions, …

Generally I would still default to my distro’s packages where possible, but if they are unsuitable for whatever reason (not available, too old, …) then a Flatpak is a great option.