• NeatNit
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I guess I disagree about the benefits of a single global timezone. We already have that for technology to use - the unix timestamp. All potential benefits of a unified timezone could be (and are) gained by having software convert times to whichever timezone you need.

Maybe I’m missing something. What do you think the benefits would be?

• Muehe@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

We already have that for technology to use - the unix timestamp.

A unix timestamp is an offset to a UTC date, not a timezone. But fair enough, there is UTC. It’s not used by default however, except by scientists and programmers maybe.

Maybe I’m missing something. What do you think the benefits would be?

Removing ambiguity from casual language. Currently when you state a time you are almost always implying your local timezone applies, which might be unknown information to the recipient, especially with written sources like these comments here. With everybody using the same timezone instead you would always make an unambiguous statement about the specific time by default.

• NeatNit
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Currently when you state a time you are almost always implying your local timezone applies, which might be unknown information to the recipient, especially with written sources like these comments here.

In most people’s everyday life that’s really rare. And when it does happen it’s usually clarified. In more automated contexts (e.g. a scheduled YouTube premiere) the software converts it automatically - the author inputs the date and time in their own timezone, and viewer sees the converted date and time in their own timezone.

When it does happen it reminds us that the date and time falls on a different time of day for different participants.

With everybody using the same timezone instead you would always make an unambiguous statement about the specific time by default.

22:00, midday.

Person A: “Meet me here tomorrow at 01:00”

Person B: “Sure no problem”

… three hours later …

Person A: “Ugh, I told him to be here at 01:00, where is he?”

… 24 hours later …

Person B: “Ugh, he told me to come here at 01:00, where is he?”

• Muehe@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

And when it does happen it’s usually clarified. In more automated contexts (e.g. a scheduled YouTube premiere) the software converts it automatically - the author inputs the date and time in their own timezone, and viewer sees the converted date and time in their own timezone.

My point exactly though, this is a whole lot of complexity we could just get rid of by using a single timezone, with the added benefit of that working without any automation or clarification. Next Tuesday 14:00? Same time for everybody, regardless of locality. Everyone will know what part of the solar day that is for them by habit.

When it does happen it reminds us that the date and time falls on a different time of day for different participants.

The complexity of coordinating different solar cycles is there either way and unavoidable. So why not use the simpler system?

Meet me here tomorrow at 01:00

Yes, semantic drift in these terms would be unavoidable, but I still see the long-term benefits to clarity outweighing the short-term costs in it.

• NeatNit
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

I can respect your position but I don’t think you could ever change my mind. The date can’t change in the middle of the day. I can’t accept that.

• Muehe@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

I don’t think you could ever change my mind.

Fair enough, I still think you’d get used to it if it were to happen.