I can imagine people having fun getting lost in the flow of playing a competitive sport. I’ve also heard some people experience a post-workout high. But does anyone actually feel pleasure in the moment while lifting weights, jogging, cycling, etc?

If so… what does it feel like? Is there anything the rest of us can do to cultivate such a mindset?

• Hunter2
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Spicy food isn’t just “it’s so hot I can’t breathe”, it’s no different than eating something that’s bitter or sweet. Obviously, things that are super bitter or super sweet are equally displeasing for most people. Watered down lemon juice is very different from sugary lemon juice or raw lemon juice.

Spices and herbs affect the flavour of food, that’s why people use it. Same for condiments. For most, it’s not about a flaming/numbing effect because they don’t put big doses or use gimmicky sauces in the first place.

• davidgro@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think it’s incredible how the internet can connect people who come from different planets like this.

I mean yeah, if food is more bitter than it is sweet then it’s unpleasant to me (even the darkest chocolate has a lot of sugar) but that still doesn’t directly stimulate pain receptors like capsaicin does at any level. Very low levels of “heat” (pain) are indeed tolerable to me, but No level above zero is more enjoyable than zero, for any type of food.

I also don’t understand that concept of “too sweet” (for things that should be sweet, I am not talking about pizza for example). The only thing that stops me from just buying sugar in bulk and eating bowls of it at a time is concern for my health/teeth. (Which of course is a strong concern, and so far has managed to keep me from being diabetic)

• Hunter2
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m not sure if all of their drinks are like that, but my only experience with Starbucks was one of their holiday drinks and I could only drink 1/3 of it because it was so sweet that it was nauseating.