The way Redditors write has big “civil war general writing a missive to the homestead” energy. I love seeing long reply chains that end like:

(…) this will conclude my 80,000 word response in which I have objectively proven that you are unintelligent, irrational, and facilitate poor literacy in regards to the use of technology. Perhaps you should take an introductory level programming class to better yourself, hmmm?

As to your claims that I am being “condescending”: I am sorry sir, but I just calls it like I sees it. Perhaps you need to learn how to handle criticism.

Edit: I cannot believe that he blocked me! I avoided ad-homonyms and remained civil, but he decided that it would be better to silence rational actors instead of letting them provide education.

• MachineFab812
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

All you’re telling me is that reddit has turned into another 4chan over the last 9 months. Glad I left.

• MachineFab812
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Certain subs, sure. OP representative of all reddit now? Not convinced, as that would be much worse. I hope OP is just constantly deep-diving the role-playing subs, or making shit up. Lie to me, baby.

• LinkOpensChest.wav@lemmy.blahaj.zoneOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Well, the default subs that hit the front page have always been like this. My tenure on reddit lasted from 2011 - 2023, and people there have always been status quo warriors / debatebros who are full of themselves, generally speaking. I usually browsed subs by new, and I got into the habit of disabling inbox replies if a post I commented on started to get popular, because I’d receive paragraphs with citations for even the slightest disagreement with a minor insignificant point in my comment.

Now, this doesn’t apply to the awesome LGBTQIA+ subs like 196, or to smaller friendly niche subs like shittygaming, or to progressive subs like AHS.

I realize this is a sweeping generalization, obviously. It’s just lampooning the typical comments you see upvoted on r/all, not ever single user on reddit. I’m sure there are still good people there, too. I honestly haven’t checked much since I left at the end of last June

• MachineFab812
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I stopped using r/all after the first few years. I changed usernames twice, and both times I just copied over the hundreds of subs I had been following. Now if I look, it is only at r/all, because I un-subbed everything on my way out, across all accounts; Once I had found what equivalents I could via Lemmyverse, that is.

Peeking like so only reminds me why I left, but yeah, r/all was always mostly shit. I’m just a ninetees kid who expected sorting through piles of crap to get to the good stuff, for way too long.