• MachineFab812
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

“Stuck” … yeah I’m stuck, with a bunch of calls, texts and e-mails basically begging me to cash in my equity. I LIKE my house and I make my payments on-time - leave me the hell alone!!

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

And the door to door salespeople. I had a clever one that other day, instead of “could I interest you in a few review…,” this guy pulls out our local netb metering form and asks if we’ve filled one out. Most don’t know what that is and ask, which gives than a way in to pitch solar.

I like the idea of solar, but I’d need to replace my roof given how old it is, and losing those extra years of life just aren’t worth the “savings” or whatever. I also got an independent quote years ago, and it’s still way lower than anything these door to door clowns are offering (granted, they’re after loans, not cash payments).

As a seasoned homeowner, I can now spot them quickly and just say “not interested” and close the door before they can say, “but I’m not a salesperson” or whatever. I’m done being considerate (have had a few people in to give quotes I’m not interested in), so I’m blunt. I have a price in mind, and nobody has gotten within 2x of that.

• ZombiFrancis@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I have had the same company send their new guys each spring and fall to pitch spraying my house for bugs for half a decade now. New kids same pitch.

I have gone from polite to outright hostile and they keep blowing past my signage since they’re ‘just working on my neighbor’s yard and thought they’d offer out of convenience.’

• FlaminGoku@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

I treat them just like spam calls. If i didn’t ask you to come, I’m not even opening the door.

Door to door salespeople prey on the “decency” of homeowners to always answer when someone knocks. Stop opening and they’ll stop coming.

All of the solar companies basically charge you $10-15K to act as the general contractor as they sub out the roofing and electrical work. Act as your own GC. You can source your own solar equipment and get a roofer and electrician and you will be able to get as many panels as you want and pay significantly less.

• sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

The problem is we have lots of legitimate, unannounced visitors. I have kids, so their friends will come over to play. Our neighbors sometimes drop by for a quick visit. And so on.

I’m unwilling to get something like Ring due to privacy (I don’t trust them), and I’m too lazy to configure something myself (planning to do it this summer, but I’ve said that for years).

So I answer the door. But now I just say we’re not interested, so it’s like a 10s conversation. If they have a clipboard, briefcase, or company uniform, I don’t let them speak, but I do at as politely as I can without wasting anyone’s time.

Act as your own GC

I actually plan to. I estimated my total install would cost something like $10-15k for the system I want. I’d get better panels and inverters than the junk those people pedal, and I’d do some of the work myself (I’d to electrical, but pay a professional to inspect and connect).

Every quote I’ve gotten has been well over $20k cash price, and even more with financing, so that’s a nope from me. If I invest that $20k, I’ll come out ahead vs solar, so it’s not worth it, especially with our low energy prices ($0.13/kWh). So I’ll reevaluate when my roof needs replacing in a few years.