The OnePlus Watch 2 has 2 chips, and basically runs a lightweight OS while keeping the hungry one in very very low power, and only powering it up when necessary.

I was thinking that maybe such idea could be applied on a Linux phone that could run all your banking apps without Waydroid’s “you-must-be-a-hacker” issues, literally by having a half-asleep Android running on another chip, which you can wake up whenever to do your “non-hacker” things, while at the same time you can run the rest of your system (calls, messaging, calculator, calendar, browser…) on your lightweight, private and personalized Linux mobile OS.

I think I would pay big bucks for something like this, and it could serve as a transition device for ditching Android in the future when Tux finally governs over the world.

What do you guys think?

• @unknowing8343OP
    link
    221 days ago

I mean, with this dualOS device it would be solved… And recognition of Linux mobile would increase, hopefully making banking apps look for other systems of “verification”.

• @boredsquirrel@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      621 days ago

No, not that easily. Your phone could have 2 flash storages and do all the android stuff in there, with hardware TPM, A/B root, verified boot, rollback prevention, not rooted etc.

Ironically this is not even enforced by those shitty banking apps, GrapheneOS is way more secure and will probably be blocked by some apps soon, as they are not a “google certified OS”, replacing the old SafetyNet.

• @ReversalHatchery@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      221 days ago

I see now, you’re partly right. But I don’t think such a device would be “approved by google”, the party who decides which device configurations are “trusted”