• @thingsiplay@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    771 month ago

As a Thunderbird user and Rust fan, I approve this integration. However I want to mention that Thunderbird is good as it is and actually don’t think new features are needed. Only compatibility with other software or protocols could be better (which the Rust integration aims to improve). And to be honest, a way to disable some of the feature bloat would be preferable too, as I don’t use lot of the additional stuff (but I make use of the RSS Feed reader).

• @sunbeam60@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      281 month ago

JMAP support would make a huge difference to expand the only open/free (as in speech) competition Exchange has.

• lemmyreader
        link
        fedilink
        English
        101 month ago

Agreed. Self hosting email with JMAP support has become easier with Stalwart. More email clients with JMAP support would be nice.

• @sabreW4K3@lazysoci.al
            link
            fedilink
            51 month ago

I was reading that page and was just getting more and more confused and then eventually I realised it’s an alternative to IMAP. Pretty cool.

• @acockworkorange@mander.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              21 month ago

I didn’t know JMAP either. Apparently the authors found the complexity and stagnation of IMAP as well as inability to integrate with basic groupware such as CalDAV caused free e-mail clients to be dropped in favor of proprietary systems. Seems like a fair assessment and if JMAP solves that I’d be very pleased.

• @Slotos@feddit.nl
            link
            fedilink
            31 month ago

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t this allow one to represent virtually any resource as a mail inbox/outbox with access through a generic mail app?

I’m working with a specialized healthcare company right now, and this looks like a way to represent patient treatments data as an intuitive timeline of messages. With a local offline cache in case of outages. Security of local workstations is a weak point of course, but when is it not…

• @dragonfly4933@lemmy.dbzer0.com
              link
              fedilink
              English
              31 month ago

Yes, but that is always possible with most protocols, including imap.

Take a look a FUSE and you will see all the creative things people have done with filesystems. Or DNS, lots of fun things have been done with that also.

• @Ohh@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      31 month ago

Thunderbird still uses mbox. Maildir is incomplete and experimental.

I really wish we could use maildir.

• @thingsiplay@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        11 month ago

Yes it was shocking to learn about the file format. I reverse engineered the stuff that I need to know and its a complex mess of noodle soup (later found a description of it, but its not fully documented by Mozilla either). I am surprised that Thunderbird still uses this ancient and inefficient format.