• KubeRoot
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Don’t forget people are different, misiphonia is a thing - something you consider normal might be absolutely infuriating to be around for some people.

• OftenWrong@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I have misiphonia actually lol. I can’t eat at restaurants because the sound of metal cutlery scraping together or scraping on people’s teeth causes me physical pain and makes my own teeth “itch” for lack of a better word. It really sucks but I don’t go around shaming people for eating in a way that’s normal for them either.

So, I definitely get it but mocking people for sighing in contentment over their lil toasty cup of coffee seems criminal to me. It feels like there’s not enough joy in the world right now to be making people feel bad about silly things like that ya know? :/

• Leg@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I like your POV. Thank you for having it.

I was made aware that my chewing is too loud. I no longer enjoy eating food around people because I’m too self-conscious about the noise. It’s a stupid thing to care about, and I feel stupid for letting it bother me. I wish “live and let live” was easier.