• Olgratin_Magmatoe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

It is bizarre that you think that housing is used as a “speculative” investment.

No it’s not.

https://create.umn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Real-Estate-Speculation.pdf

people simply need a place where they can store wealth without having it destroyed

That’s what banks are for.

If people could use money to store their wealth housing would be demonetized and prices would go down, then your coop model could naturally outcompete renting if it truly is superior. Fix the money, fix the world.

This is a load of nonsense. People already use money to store their wealth.

Coops haven’t taken off because it is in the financial interest of the owning class to maintain the status quo. They do everything in their power to buy up every property they can, and to influence the law to keep their business in power.

The problem is systematic, it requires a fundamental change to the structure of our economy.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              2 months ago

If you believe that a savings account outpace inflation I don’t know how to help you.

Mine does, at least, actual inflation.

The fake inflation that is just corporate greed is something that can never be outpaced by anything, not even housing as an investment which just makes your point double moot.

The solution is to put an end to the current economic system. It’s not serving me or you. It’s just stealing from us:

https://www.epi.org/productivity-pay-gap/

link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  2 months ago

the system is stealing from you, but through monetary debasement

This is only one of the many ways in which the rich steal from us. Believe me, I fucking get that part.