• EmperorHenry
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

The mountain’s wife is tiny. Not a dwarf, but just small.

You think “dwarf” is offensive? What about the Dwarves from LOTR? Or the Dwarves from WoW? Or the Dwarves from OnePiece? Or the Dwarves from Norse Mythology who made Thor’s hammer? Dwarves are awesome, “little people” sounds like an even worse insult than the M-word.

Try saying “little person” with the tone of voice you’d talk to a kitten meowing at you. And then say “Dwarf” like a Nordic guy.

• Agrivar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Did… did you just speedrun a comment/callout/rebuttal all by yourself, in the body of a single comment?

Impressively efficient, if a bit strange.

• batmaniam@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Honestly the comparisons you made are the point. They’re just people who are short, not a magical mythical race of non humans lmfao. THATS where the whole “little person” thing comes from.

• EmperorHenry
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

The condition is called “dwarfism” in medical textbooks.

• batmaniam@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Sure, but there are loads of medical conditions with less than ideal names (a particularly severe structure is caused by a gene literally named Sonic the hedgehog). The clinical name might be important in a clinical setting but that’s not where most of us interreact with people. I’m just going with what I’ve known people to prefer.

• RampantParanoia2365@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Those would be mythological dwarves, not human dwarves.

To whoever’s downvoting me, were you under the impression some human blacksmith brothers crafted Odin’s spear and Mjolnir?