• PotatoesFall
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Fair enough! My vaguely uninformed impression is that dvorak does a lot of hand alternating which is good for typewriters but not necessarily keyboard typing. Either way I learned Colemak DH mod and I am NOT learning yet another layout that shit took me 3 months

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

The hand alternating is actually supposed to be for ergonomics and typing rhythm. It’s one of the perks imo. But yeah that’s totally fair. And colemak has its advantages, I hear it’s easier to pick up, and someone like me would probably have benefited from it being less different from QWERTY as I lost my QWERTY abilities. But I too am not spending another 3 months learning a new layout

• Buddahriffic@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

It’s kinda funny, I use a qwerty layout on my phone without problem, but I have to concentrate really hard to type on a qwerty keyboard layout to avoid dropping back into Dvorak.

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Yeah! It’s annoying the hell out of me as I’m troubleshooting what’s going wrong with my home assistant setup. Let me use my superior layout.

But yeah I think it really comes down to muscle memory. I know what action produces what letter and don’t even have to think to spell it all out. I just think words and can tap them out on my phone or keyboard without looking at the keys.