• PotatoesFall
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

The shareholders could go poor while labor gets all the money and I still won’t be happy. The shareholders have more power than the workers. Fixing wealth doesn’t magically summon democracy and fix power imbalances.

Power imbalance is the sickness, wealth inequality is a symptom.

All companies need to be owned by their workers.

• Fedizen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

this is also true for customers - imo customers also need a stake in businesses especially ones that have anything approaching a monopoly.

The obvious solution would be a law that any company of a certain size should have 25% of its board nominated and elected by non managerial workers and 25% appointed by public election or appointed by an elected official.

• PotatoesFall
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I think this depends on the company.

Yes if there is monopoly, for sure, I agree.

Also companies offering essential services.

Most importantly social media. Social media is run by users, and they should have a majority representation. The social media company is just doing an IT service, really.

• lurch@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

the workers can be shareholders though. some companies even pay a bit in stock or options. however, dividends are usually very low and most shareholders make their money with gambling the stock market, which has little to do with labor at all.

• PotatoesFall
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Sure but giving employees a tiny fraction of the company is not democracy. All workers must collectively own the company. And nobody who doesn’t work there should get a say.

Also the whole thing I just said, it’s not about wealth it’s fundamentally about power.