I know that DNA encodes proteins. Truthfully, everything besides that (including ‘what are proteins’) mostly wooshes over my head, but that’s not relevant because whenever I search this question I never even find it addressed anywhere.

The human body has, among other things, two hands each with five fingers, with a very particular bone structure. How are things like that encoded in DNA, and by what mechanisms does that DNA cause these features to be built the way they are? What makes two people have a different nose shape? Nearly everyone in my family has a mole on the left side of their face, how does that come about from DNA?

I’m sure there are many steps involved, but I don’t see how we go from creating proteins to reproducibly building a full organism with all the organs in the right places and the right shapes. Whenever I try to look this up, all of these intermediate steps are missing, so it basically seems like magic.

As I said, any explanation will most likely go over my head and I won’t be able to understand it fully, but I at least want to see an explanation. I’ll do my best to understand it of course.

• @mononomi@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    23 days ago

I recently had a course in developmental biology and this is what I can remember the best:

From the moment of fertilization, the egg has a ‘polarity’, thus a direction like up and down, left and right etc. This can be established by e.g. the entry point of the sperm or protein produced by the mother in one side of the egg. From here on out protein gradients and interactions on cell membranes specify where cells are and thus what kind of tissue they should become

This early polarity leads to a certain pattern of cell division. An important part of this is the folding in of tissue layers called gastrulation, creating the beginning for the gastrointestinal tract.

In vertebrates a streak starts to form in the embryo. This is the start of the vertebrae and the neural tube in it. Also blocks of cells called somites start to form. These blocks are very important for all kinds of tissues in the body.

Hox genes make the cells in somites get an identity like head, arm etc. So in the end Hox genes are probably what you are looking for. If leg Hox genes are expressed where fruitfly normally have antennae, you get this horror:

Fruitfly with legs instead of antennae

• @NeatNitOP
      link
      1723 days ago

So in the end Hox genes are probably what you are looking for.

Thank you! I will read up on that.

If leg Hox genes are expressed where fruitfly normally have antennae, you get this horror:

So, a core part of my question is what causes certain genes to be expressed in certain places in the body, and specifically how this comes about from genetics alone (i.e. not artificially in lab experiments). In my past searches I did find some info about forcing gene expression in places where it wouldn’t normally happen, which creates horrors similar to the one you shared, but I never found an answer for how this is controlled in natural development. Hox genes seem to be the answer I’m looking for :)

• @dependencyinjection
          link
          1023 days ago

Huh… it never ceases to amaze me how many quite large channels that I would absolutely enjoy, like this, are not recommended to me. Even though I watch content very similar and live on YT.

Thanks for sharing.

• @NeatNitOP
          link
          523 days ago

How is this so good hole crap

• neuropean
            link
            fedilink
            223 days ago

I have no idea, he operates on his own level. All of his videos are top quality.

• @Donjuanme@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        723 days ago

I would start by looking at plant genetics, if you think about it they; are simpler to understand, they never stop growing (expressing those genes), are much less specialized (cells cannot just be told that they are certain organs because of their surrounding cells, if a root penetrates the surface it no longer needs to be a root right?) actually has more factors in deciding how to specialize (animal cells only need to orient themselves up once, plants cells are constantly orienting themselves, both against gravity, and the wind, and sometimes in response to other plants, these things all have generic controls).

Plant biology is a great stepping stone to a lot of what you’re looking for.

DNA is like the secret recipe at KFC (except it has 40 spices with names for 64, but quite a few of those names are homonyms for the same spice, and 3 of those spices aren’t spices but instructions for when to stop adding spices), with a, millions of peoples rely on it, from cashier’s and cooks, to janitors franchisees, CEOs and builders, some of these are more hands on with the recipe, while others are way down the line, but none of them have ever seen the recipe first hand. The DNA is kept from harm by being hidden away where only DNA readers and multipliers have access to it, everything that is produced by the DNA gets (this metaphor is so tortured) broken down into what spices are needed in which order, the spice mixers and bakers are pretty damn familiar with the instructions, those would be RNA and proteins, but just because they get good instructions doesn’t mean they’re free from outside influence, they’re outside of the vault after all.

• @NeatNitOP
      link
      323 days ago

By the way, in case you’d have a guess for the answer:

If scientists really wanted to, throwing all questions of ethics out the window, would it be possible to genetically engineer a person with four arms instead of two, kinda like Goro? Does our current understanding of this go far enough to make deliberate changes like that? And would that baby be able to develop in a normal woman’s pregnancy?

• @phdepressed@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        523 days ago

No, and no. My PhD thesis was on gene delivery. We’re barely getting into the simplest modifications for disease treatment. Multigene stuff, and spatiotemporal control is still a ways off.

• @mononomi@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        122 days ago

I’d guess no, the number of digits and limbs is conserved very well across tetrapods (it’s in their name after all). Fucking with the amount of limbs will probably lead to some developmental errors in the early embryo.