• 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    English
    4717 days ago

Where do you buy fuel grade uranium in order to run your own reactor?

I’m asking for a friend.

• @Railcar8095@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        817 days ago

Just one note, nuclear power plants run at around 35% efficiency. This is because they are basically steam generators and tend to not push as hard for safety. I think they can get up to 40-45% with combined cycles and such, but then we are in the “very large” territory

• @bitwaba@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        517 days ago

Large scale data centers, like the ones that end up in the news for FAANG are ~100 megawatt footprints.

I have no idea where you’re getting 3.4 megawatts as the largest data center in the US, but that is wildly undersized.

• @TexasDrunk@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        917 days ago

Well if you’re in the US you can get it from New Mexico and Wyoming. We’ve even got a few mines here in Texas.

So in the US it’s a matter of getting licensed by the NRC and contacting one of the many processing facilities.

• @ShittyBeatlesFCPres@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        517 days ago

Mali has a significant mine that France essentially controls. In America, we have mines but import a lot too.

We actually currently buy about 25% of our uranium supply from Russia, though Congress just passed a ban that’ll go in effect in 90 days. It allows for waivers if there are supply issues, though, so it might end up being more than 90 days. (I have no idea how quickly a country can find a new uranium supplier but it sounds complicated.)

• @expr@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      English
      617 days ago

I know it’s a joke, but just wanted to say that Uranium used for fuel is not something you can actually use for weaponry directly. It requires enrichment to increase the concentration of U-235 to weapons-grade levels.