fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    2 months ago

Try to use apt on Android

With Termux one can

And no ads in every app.

Don’t use apps with ads then? Or set up an ad blocker.

Root access, that is, being admim of your own device.

That’s just how most Android versions are shipped. It’s still technically possible to get root access, and really enjoy every privilege of Linux. Not all devices allow using a custom OS though, sadly

• pedz@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Setting up an ad blocker for a whole device often requires root. I gave up with my new phone and just have ublock origin on Firefox but that’s the point. I can’t easily install something that will modify the DNS because I have no admin access on my phone.

That’s why I also do give up on certain apps. For example I don’t like the ads in Boost so I stopped using it. Sometimes I pay for the version of an app without ads. This doesn’t happen on Linux.

Also being heavily pushed towards apps for websites like YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, Facebook… Lemmy, Mastodon… They are all “best experienced” in apps, and most of them will probably try to push you ads or make you pay.

Again, I’m relatively tech savvy so I can find other ways, but it’s still annoying and disappointing to have to constantly find ways around the system. It doesn’t happen in Linux.

Android is the enshittification of Linux.

• KISSmyOSFeddit@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Also being heavily pushed towards apps for websites like YouTube, Twitter, Reddit, Facebook… Lemmy, Mastodon… They are all “best experienced” in apps, and most of them will probably try to push you ads or make you pay.

That has nothing to do with the operating system. Just use Firefox, set it to show you the desktop version of the websites, and you’ll have the same experience as on a desktop PC.
        Except with a smaller screen size.

• jbk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Setting up an ad blocker for a whole device often requires root

Private DNS since Android 9 can do that without root access afaik, like with AdGuard’s public service

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I just use the AdGuard app. It runs all my Internet traffic through an on-device VPN server (The VPN is the phone itself.), and it uses that to filter out all the ads.

• smileyhead
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

and really enjoy every privilege of Linux

Like ability to install different desktop enviroment?
      I have a phone with PostmarketOS installed and, besides being immature for now, the difference in possibilities are night and day.
      Almost all apps store settings in easy to backup .config folder. I can really script things using cron jobs and plain bash. Develop apps with any programming language without stupid SDK. Carry portable Minecraft of Factorio server for LAN parties. Use literally the exact same apps on both phone and desktop without ports and having their data synced. I can talk for hours.

• jbk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        2 months ago

Technically, with root access, yeah. It’s just that Android’s UI isn’t a DE/WM in the desktop Linux sense

Almost all apps store settings in easy to backup .config folder.

And same for Android app data with root access. /data contains, well, data of apps and the general system. Sure, it’s not the same as on desktop Linux, but it’s still possible to modify, copy, delete with root access. Every app is a different Linux user on Android, and that’s also just different from desktop Linux.

To me, you’re just pointing out differences due to the software architecture of both OSes.

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Technically, with root access, yeah. It’s just that Android’s UI isn’t a DE/WM in the desktop Linux sense

You can also just install different apps that change the home screen. Android calls them “launchers”. You can install one from the Google Play Store or elsewhere like any other app. Then just set it up. Once it’s setup, the phone simply loads that app’s launcher instead of the phone’s default launcher (which is usually also an app).

• jbk
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

Yeah but for e.g. the notification and quick panel, you need to modify the System UI app. It’s like everything below the top panel in GNOME is replaceable lol

• jbk
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

You think compiling a binary with a different toolchain and system paths is the same as exploiting a made up security vulnerability linked to a game for some reason. I’m done wasting my time here. /system/bin/uname -s prints Linux, that’s enough.