• BROOT@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

In my quickness to reply, I mixed up Patriot system with javelin. I didn’t mean that the UK were sending anti air, just that the UK once HAD a SMAA that was called a Javelin. Entirely my fault.

• ☆ Yσɠƚԋσʂ ☆@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

The US patriot blew its load of 36 missiles in two minutes and then got hit by a single hypersonic missile and destroyed. US is only able to produce around 150 of these missiles per year at the moment, and each one costs $4.1 million. Anybody capable of doing basic math can see that Patriot is an utter joke of an air defence system.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Funnelling tax payer money away from things like social services, infrastructure, healthcare, and education which it’s meant for and into the pockets of the oligarchs who own the military industry is the whole point.

• sicaniv@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

No no you don’t get it. It’s about free market. Any one can become oligarch in US. It’s a free democratic country. It’s upto to the people to compete and become an oligarch. No one is stopping them from becoming oligarchs. It’s free market after all. If some oligarch can profit from war then other people also have that option to become that oligarch. After all every thing is about profit in amerikan dream.

— That is what, being a liberal, I used to think about war profit and bourgeois nationalism.

** For the people to get an Idea of how a Liberal Brain works after consuming so much bourgeois media.

• ExotiqueMatter@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

so they wasted 24% of their yearly production (and 147.6 million$), JUST FUCKING LIKE THIS?! 24%!! Did it even hit anything? How much do they have stickpiled in total?

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

From all the reports we have it appears that they didn’t manage to hit shit, and US admitted that the Patriot cannot intercept Kinzhals. The stockpile doesn’t seem to be too big either as they’ve been running around and asking other countries they exported Patriot to for the missiles. This war is now exposing what an utter clown show US military tech actually is.

• ExotiqueMatter@lemmygrad.ml
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

Wow, to think the largest military in the world and army of the world’s military and economic egemon is that fucking useless, You can’t make that up 💀 . I just did a quick high balling estimation of the stockpile:

The MIM-104 patriot has existed for 39 years, assuming, to symplify, that the production has been a constent 150 per year since then up to now and ignoring the ones exported or already used, the US stockpile of patriot missiles is AT ABSOLUTE MOST 5850 missiles, no more. Witch mean they used more than 0.6% of their entire stockpile on this one single shot.

Of course, if we take into acount the already used ones in previous wars + the ones sold to other countries, they have WAY less than that in their stockpile.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              11 months ago

Yeah, and another factor is that these missiles have a shelf life, so I would imagine ones from 40 years ago aren’t super reliable either. It’s basically a completely non viable system for defending against modern missiles. Americans should think very long and hard about pushing the world towards a world war, because it’s pretty clear that whatever missile shield US thinks they might have isn’t going to work.

• REEEEvolution@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

The Patriot system could not even reliably shoot down the modfied SCUD rockets Iraq fired during the first gulf war…