• Izzgo@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Thank you. I did see that, but was left wondering more exactly. Is it the same as cars locking features behind a subscription?

• MeowdyPardner@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I think a better comparison re: cars would be if inspections could only be performed by Ford or GM and the inspection rules were made by them instead of the government. They could say: we’re no longer passing inspections on models older than 5 years old, or if you used non-approved oil or filters the toll roads are gonna block you. They could put ads on your infotainment system and say you won’t get an inspection pass if you block them or replace the infotainment system with something else. Did you bypass the subscription lock on your heated seat? No more highway driving for you.

• kenblu24@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

No, for the majority of people, you probably won’t notice any differences on the surface (unless you use an adblocker). This is one of those things that will hurt you in more invisible and insidious ways.

Also, read more closely? that section is literally dedicated to the bad stuff that might happen.

If you must have a comparison to something car-related, it’s closer to being forced to do a credit check before buying a car.

• Izzgo@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Also, read more closely?

Will do :) I jumped to the car example because it’s been in the news recently. I hate these invisible, insidious, harmful developments in the world.