• IHeartBadCode@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It wasn’t super secret, it’s just that the HTTP protocol standard is getting quite large. HTTP standard site.

Same with HTML, the standard for HTML 5 is just so massive no one person can know all of it. It is completely unknowable to a single person at this point (without referring back to the standard).

The protocols and standards underpinning the Web have become over engineered in my opinion. I’m sure it was with “best intention” but I recommend gemini protocol at this point for “fun” and http for “business”. Corporations owns HTTP at this point and there’s little that can be done to change it. It has become the modern Adobe flash with the veneer of openness to satiate the causal observer.

But that’s my two cents.

• HousePanther@lemmy.goblackcat.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I consider myself a rather avid technology reader and try to stay up on the trends and this one completely escaped me, I am sorry to say.

• abhibeckert@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

It was part of the same keynote speech where Apple announced their virtual reality headset… so the media largely didn’t cover it.

But Apple absolutely did announce it, and as loudly as they possibly could with a high profile executive standing on stage before a live (online live, but still live) audience of millions of people and every tech journalist in the world to demo the feature. There’s also extensive documentation and whitepapers covering how the crypto works, and I expect it was discussed on public mailing lists ahead of time (I don’t follow those mailing lists - they’re too busy, so not sure about that one).