• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I always love the story of how The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou was made. Wes Anderson was given a blank cheque and total creative freedom by the studio. He used those resources to create a movie which was both incredibly expensive to make and also incredibly Wes-Anderson-y. The result was a film which is fantastically beautiful and memorable, but which came nowhere close to breaking even at the box office.

• GreyShuck@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

David Lynch’s Rabbits is the first to spring to mind.

More mainstream, I understand that Michael Schur was given a lot of freedom with The Good Place.

• edric@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Swiss Army Man. A lot of the projects Daniel Radcliffe chooses fit that category.

• BlazeOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Thanks. I have to check what he has been up to, seems promising.

• BlazeOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I’m going to start with Dungeons & Dragons: Honor among Thieves.

Very solid fantasy adventure movie. Good acting, believable world, coherent tone during the whole thing, good cinematography.

It’s a shame it was kind of a failure box office wise, it was really refreshing.

• Rhaedas@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Great movie, just badly promoted (ironic since it was totally for marketing purposes). I so want to have a sequel, I just think it may have been a one-time wonder and trying to capture it again won’t feel genuine. I hope to be proven wrong. Even how to best do a sequel is a hot debate topic.

• BlazeOPM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Definitely agree, the promotion was so bad, such a missed opportunity.

Yes, I would like a sequel too, but maybe it was lightning in a bottle and they wouldn’t be able to recreate such a cool movie.

• KISSmyOS@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Everything by Quentin Tarantino.

He makes movies that are 3 hours long and mostly consist of people sitting in a room talking, a few scenes where a hot chick plays with her feet, and a massacre at the end.
    And it somehow works.

• BlazeOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

You just sold it to me.

• CM400@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

That sequence- flick the lighter, chop, swipe, saunter away… was brilliant. There are multiple levels of storytelling in just those few seconds. It’s definitely worth watching that (very good) film just to see it.

• BlazeOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Another one is Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Interesting approach to the multiverse theme, solid acting (especially from actors having to play different characters), and interesting scenario that went beyond the multiverse idea to address other subjects.