If I’m paying for my goods and services with actual money, but using prop money for tips, is that bad? In my understanding, tips are given of one’s own free will and would be considered a gift to the recipient, the same as if I gave flowers or cookies as a tip. I’ve also seen fake money passed off by religious people that looks fully real on one side, and has church propaganda on the other side.

This is a hypothetical question that came up when assembling a gag gift for my kid from my parent. I don’t plan on doing it (though, there are some instances where it’d be VERY tempting…), but it does make me curious.

• DessertStorms@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

Yeah, you have to be a really spectacular piece of shit to do that (any of the examples really, but the beggar one in particular, even just considering it is super fucked up)…

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

only if the “currency” is convincing enough. If it’s literally monopoly money, not so much. most prop money usually is not all that convincing up close. (which is one of the reasons it’s usually only folded over or in wallets. they’ll put real bills on top if they need close ins on the cash.)

• roguetrick@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

There is absolutely an intent to defraud aspect, and it’s clear the intent here is to pass of the money as real even if it’s monopoly money. This is particularly true in strip clubs where you’re getting a “service” based on your donations.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          5 months ago

is it? or is it to hide the fact that they’re not tipping to escape the social stigma inherit in not tipping (or tithing).

if you were right, those religious tracts would be illegal and the company that produces them closed down for counterfeiting currency.

• roguetrick@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            5 months ago

I edited my comment about strip clubs right when you posted this. There’s a legal gray area in my opinion by using it for tipping. If you’ve already received the service, you really can’t be committing fraud. Essentially, the producers can easily say the thing is not meant to commit fraud because it’s obviously not real money. But if you personally passed it off as money anyway and received something for it, you’d get nailed.

• PrinceWith999Enemies@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I’m not positive about that. Possessing obviously fake money is not a crime, but passing it off as if it were real money in a transaction itself may constitute a crime. Back before sensors became more sophisticated, I had a friend who used photocopied bills (which were obviously fake) in subway token machines, and he got into some trouble for it.

• Deceptichum@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          5 months ago

So those Christians with the fake one sided bills with propaganda on the back that they leave as tips should be arrested.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          5 months ago

Back before sensors became more sophisticated, I had a friend who used photocopied bills (which were obviously fake) in subway token machines, and he got into some trouble for it.

this is a bit different. at the point that you’re paying for goods or services with it, yes, that’s definitely trying to pass counterfeit bills. But tips are not payment for the food or wait service. You don’t pay a tip in lieu of a bill, you pay a tip along with the bill. While socially it’s understood there will be a tip… there’s no legal obligation for there to be one; or even what is to be given as a tip.

• PrinceWith999Enemies@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            5 months ago

Oh, I know. It’s not necessarily a crime, although I wouldn’t recommend it without reading what actions specifically would trigger those laws. It’s the wording of the laws that I’d want to be comfortable with.

But morally speaking it’s not even a grey area. It’s absolutely worse than just not tipping at all. If I were a restaurateur I’d ban this person on the first offense, no questions asked.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              5 months ago

But morally speaking it’s not even a grey area. It’s absolutely worse than just not tipping at all. If I were a restaurateur I’d ban this person on the first offense, no questions asked.

Absolutely.

• slazer2au@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Yes, think of it the other way way around. You getting paid $2/h as a serving staff and in order to make minimum wage you need tips.
    Then some joker comes in and tips you a fake bill. You would be pretty annoyed.

• FuglyDuck@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

I’ve also seen fake money passed off by religious people that looks fully real on one side, and has church propaganda on the other side.

You should ask restaurant staff how they feel about those tracts.

In any case, passing it off as a tip; you’ll only be breaking the law if it’s “real enough”. You will be decried as an asshole, though. if you don’t want to tip, just don’t tip. if your congregation is watching who puts what into the collection plate, maybe you should find a new congregation- they sound like assholes. (especially because a lot of places have ways of donating/tithing online.)

• Boozilla@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Unethical. Not even a gray area, IMO.

Something of limited but actual value–like a coupon or a book of stamps–would be more of a gray area.

• groet@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

Yes it is unethical and immoral to fool service personal and lead them to believe they receive a tip when they don’t. Everybody hates to receive those fake church bills.

• db2@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

Along those lines though, putting fake money in their collection plates should be encouraged. Live by the sword and all.

• TheAlbatross@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

As someone who’s had to rely on tips to keep a roof over my head and food in my stomach, I’d rather you tell me you’re an asshole honestly by not tipping than deceive me otherwise by giving me trash I’ll have to throw out.

I’m gonna find out either way.

• PonyOfWar@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

It seems, at the very least, deceitful. If you don’t want to give money, just don’t and don’t pretend otherwise.

• zeppo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    5 months ago

What’s the point? You seriously think anyone wants that as a ‘gift’?

• key@lemmy.keychat.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Some people collect Chick Tracts. I’m sure there’s somebody out there who’d appreciate it. Of course it’s probably about as likely OP will give it to someone who’ll then go into a homicidal rage. But hey, you win some you lose some.

• zeppo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

I’d enjoy it more if someone gave me one of the ridiculous mini comic books than one designed to look like currency.

• theodewere@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

i love this guy asking if it’s unethical to tell someone else fuck you… you haven’t grasped basic ethics if this is a question for you… do unto others as you would have them do unto you… you don’t even know how to put yourself in their shoes…

• Masterblaster@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 months ago

right? are we living in that morally ambiguous of a society that people don’t understand basic tenets of decency?

• 🇰 🔵 🇱 🇦 🇳 🇦 🇰 ℹ️@yiffit.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

Pretty sure it’s all 3.

With the exception of using fake money in a collection plate at a church that uses those fake $50 bills as advertising. Then it’s just poetic. Probably still illegal, though.

• Hegar@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Collection plate is fine, anything where the person needs the money is a super dick move.

Tips aren’t an optional gift, not in the US. Tipping in the US is and explicitly began as a way to make sure you didn’t have to pay black people if you didn’t want to. Even in states without separate tip/no tip minimum wages, you’re fucking with people’s expected income and ability to plan their finances/life.

Giving fake money to homeless/working poor is straight up cruel - they are way more likely to suffer legal consequences for not realizing you were a dick.

• ℕ𝕖𝕞𝕠@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

It’s immoral and therefore also unethical to give fake money as alms or as a tip (including tipping strippers). You’re doing real damage to the recipient that way. With the beggars it’d be cruel false hope; with tipping it’d be violating the social contract and tantamount stealing their labor.

With the collection plate, it’s the same as not tithing, which is allowed under both the social contract and most churches’ doctrines; it’s still obnoxious, though. But certainly understandable if the fake money in question originated from that church, as is so often the case (source: am brunch waitress).

• roguetrick@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

It is immoral because its a lie (if we’re going off of some definitions of morality), its unethical, because its a lie that is quite cruel and provides zero benefit, and it’s illegal because it’s fraud. So yes.