I apologize for the sub-optimal lighting in a slightly dark corner of my living room.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what this might be? The location is North Carolina, USA. I’m no expert, but looking around at some photos, my best guess might be a grass spider of the genus Agelenopsis. Hopefully this isn’t too mundane of a spider for this community.

The size I would estimate is around 15mm or so. Fortunately, they were a very cooperative photography subject and did not move while I went and grabbed a ruler for the last image below.

• walden@sub.wetshaving.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Probably a Wolf Spider. They eat other bugs so they’re nice to have around. If the food dries up it’ll leave. They aren’t aggressive and only bite if provoked.

• Ashy@lemmy.wtf
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 months ago

It’s not a wolf spider. The long spinnerets and the eye position (3rd pic) makes this an Ageleniid.

• walden@sub.wetshaving.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        5 months ago

Ah, interesting. Spinnerets is a new word for me, and it seems like it refers to the two things at the rear. The things near the eyes are called Palps. Either way, cool!

Thanks for the downvote, by the way. I need to be put in my place.

• Dud@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

Had one of these guys jump out of my shoe once when I was a kid. Felt something weird and did the shoe shimmy and it took it as it’s chance for freedom and lept out the side. Kinda surprised I didn’t get bitten for that one.

• Ashy@lemmy.wtf
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

It’s not a wolf spider, but a funnel weaver from the Agelenidae family, so you were in the right area with grass spider.

• bahbah23@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 months ago

Reminds me of a brown recluse, but I can’t say for certain that that’s what it is