Barbie canonically supports China’s claims over the South China Sea.

• azanra4@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

did you guys watch the movie? maybe I’m naive, but I don’t buy it; it feels like manufactured outrage. the “map” in question had the entire north american continent labeled as United States 💀 . Basically every landmass was hopelessly deformed because it was conveying how little barbieland actually knew about the real world. In the scene, they talk about the “Country of California” and “State of Los Angeles” or something like that…because barbie was trying to get to LA. Asia doesn’t even look like Asia! Please let me know if this just went over my head. I think people are reading too much into this nonsense. Vietnam probably banned it because it was shameless western corporate propaganda or something like that.

• Beat_da_Rich@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I did. I was dragged to it and surprisingly enjoyed it more than I thought.

It obviously only got greenlit to sell merchandise, but within that the actual creators of the film worked in some unexpectedly deep commentary for what it is.

• libscratcher@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Can’t tell if sarcastic, but I highly doubt a Hollywood movie taking a side in a preexisting border dispute is going to derail an international trade deal

• Nocheztli ☭@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Is this true? It just sounds too petty to be true, I can’t believe that a random dash line that you see for 3 frames of the movie and that could as well be marked in the middle of the pacific is enough to ban the movie and cause international drama.

• idahocom@lemmygrad.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Yeah can any Vietnamese comrades weigh in. Vietnamese people on tiktok are saying they banned it for the 9 dash line showing up in a different scene than the one in the trailer but idk.

also sidenote: it’s nice to see that even on tiktok of all places vietnamese people are generally supportive of their own gov’t actions and aren’t doing a “freeze peaches” meltdown.

• HaSch@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

They could have banned it for glorifying the Butcher of Lyon and that would have made more sense