Logline

Captain Pike and his crew welcome a Klingon defector aboard the USS Enterprise, but his presence triggers the revelation of some shocking secrets.

Written by Davy Perez

Directed by Jeff Byrd

• themz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Wow. There’s no contest anymore: SNW is undoubtedly the best new Trek. This season has been fantastic. Somehow they’ve just outdone last week’s crossover. And they just did war ‘better’ than DS9.

• Olap@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Steady now, DS9 has so much more breadth to war than what we just saw. The pacing was too fast for a single episode with such gravitas for me. The final act in particular was rushed. A doctor as the real butcher (!), the ambassador without a real right of reply, and the implications of a cover up from 2 starfleet officers, one of which lied to the captain. The use of a banned serum also clouding the episode too, combined with special forces. A lack of chapel’s report.

I suspect at least 10 minutes on the cutting room floor here. Wish it was there

Don’t get me wrong. One of the best EVER in trek, I was glued from start to finish. But afterwards I wanted a two parter! Bring back some doubles please script writers and producers

• themz@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

OK. Yes. I don’t mean to say its take on war is better than the entirety of DS9, but as a single episode (with the benefit of modern effects tech) it sure dived straight into the horror of it all! Then landed at a dark place with a conclusion that really isn’t justice.

• poundsignbuttstuff@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I look forward to seeing someone write in retrospect a deep dive into a comparison of M’Benga and Bashir in wartime. The two felt the same emotions, dealt with the same decisions, and had to deal with tough choices and the inherent struggle of the Hippocratic oath in wartime yet both of them handled it so incredibly differently.

That is a Daystrom essay I look forward to reading.

• triktrek@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

As someone else mentioned in another comment, it’s bonkers that SNW can do a cartoon episode, a war episode and a musical episode back-to-back. I love now experimental SNW is!