• Asafum@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

So much me it’s insane… If I do something well it’s just “it was easy, if I can do it literally anyone can.” If I drop a pencil then I’m literally worse than Hitler…

Kinda related, but it’s why I HATE PvP games. If I beat you it doesn’t do anything for me, but if you beat me it’s because I’m bad and should feel bad about being terrible. It’s all downside.

• chiliedogg@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Many people have more expertise than they know.

You see others who know things and have skills you don’t, and think about how remarkable they are. But what makes you remarkable doesn’t seem like anything special to you, because you only have your own perspective from which to see yourself.

And this only gets worse as you learn and expose yourself to more. You begin to understand just how much you don’t understand.

Meanwhile those who close themselves off from knowledge and learning think they understand things better than they do, so they’re overconfident in their knowledge.

• Asafum@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

They say that intelligent people tend to recognize their shortcomings more easily than those that aren’t as intelligent/introspective.

I’m still not sure if that means I’m somewhat intelligent or just have a lot of shortcomings lol

• laughingsquirrel
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Thanks to your comment I finally understood, why I always had an aversion to competitive games. No joy in winning/destroying another, so much frustration when I lose.

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Success Me: “Cool”

Mistake Me: “Cool”

My secret? I am preemptively freaked out about failure at all times. When I succeed, I am relieved. When I fail, it’s as I expected.

• klemptor@startrek.website
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

This is honestly a big part of why I retired. The constant “I’m gonna fuck something up” anxiety was really overwhelming at times.

• embed_me@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I too have this stoic-like outlook. Still, mistakes give me that uneasy brooding feeling that it could’ve been prevented, I just had to think more or be a little less absent-minded.

• frunch@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Sheesh, i wonder if this guy’s just a clone of me somewhere else in the world. Just about every comic I’ve read by them has been ridiculously on point, lol

• Stamets@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Honestly, same. Most of the comics I post are from people I identify with pretty heavily. Why you won’t see me post stuff from PennyArcade or XKCD. They’re great comics but they don’t hit me personally. That and I just got an upgrade on storage space for all my memes and stuff recently and I’m almost out of space already.

• AllonzeeLV@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

It’s an evolutionary advantage that we tend to focus on seeking out what is wrong instead of what is right, in terms of survival in nature.

Unfortunately, it isn’t usually an advantageous cognitive focus in modern civilization. It becomes more of an impediment to humanity in this setting, just like our over competitive nature.

• candyman337@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

It’s important you weigh your mistakes and achievements properly, otherwise you’ll be too arrogant or too down on yourself. That’s one of the main things that’s helped me feel like an actual competent person and not a failure.

• Most of the things I have received praise or awards for really are pretty meh… When I left Walmart, they told me I was the best employee they had and if that’s the case holy shit. I spent most of my time slacking off in the freezer and basically only worked enough to keep up appearances.

• Sneezycat@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Same but 2nd panel would be “I am the smartest motherfucker to walk this Earth”. The duality of humanity.