• tuckerm@supermeter.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    5 months ago

I’m not sure what kind of disagreement went on behind the scenes, but just as someone who enjoyed the game, this seems fine to me. Five years of post-release content is better than what you usually get, especially considering that they were all good updates and none were hasty cash grabs. The base game by itself was endlessly replayable, then they kept adding variety. It’s not like people aren’t going to get their money’s worth, now that this game with near-infinite replayability isn’t getting even more new content.

The article mentions the studio is a co-op; I was not aware of that before. From the studio’s Wikipedia article:

Motion Twin is run as an anarcho-syndicalist workers cooperative with equal salary and decision-making power between its members.

WELL DAMN I already loved the game, now I love it all over again.

• woelkchen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 months ago

I’m not sure what kind of disagreement went on behind the scenes, but just as someone who enjoyed the game, this seems fine to me

Usually I’d agree but Motion Twin explicitly set up a dedicated studio, Evil Empire, to support Dead Cells for years to come while Motion Twin would move on to new games. It’s not like it was intended that Evil Empire would work for free. The paid DLCs were/are successful.

• nickwitha_k (he/him)@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        5 months ago

That’s one of the few models that I see as promising. Likely not easy though. Have you worked with software engineers? It’s like herding cats much of the time, even when I’m a peer position.