currently juggling between active and hot sorts and both seem to return the same crap throughout the day… what sort works best for you?

• penguin@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah, I’ve had the best experience with top 6 hours for all. Blocked a couple communities but not as many as I would’ve thought.

• Meeech@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I’ve been browsing All -> New

I’ve been blocking communities or instances I don’t want to see. It took a day or two but now I’m discovering some great communities all the time. As my community list grows, I’ll eventually swap to my subscribed feed.

• joe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I mostly use kbin; how do you block communities or instances in lemmy? I didn’t see an obvious way to do this, but I am often oblivious so that’s not as conclusive as I’d wish it to be, haha

• Blaze@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

In Lemmy, there should be a button on the sidebar for communities. You can’t block instances (yet)

• joe@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Oh, that button is (correctly) hidden if you’ve joined the community, haha

• such_fifty_bucks@lemmy.one
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I’ve been using Connect on Android because it supports keyword filters (musk and reddit alone make my feed much more tolerable) and instance blocking. Was using Jerboa since coming over early June but switched the other day when I read someone mentioning its filtering capabilities.

It’s decent overall, but supreme in eliminating musk spam and lemmynsfw from your All feeds.

• Meeech@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I was able to block instances with Connect. Currently using the Sync for Lemmy internal beta and that functionality hasn’t been added in yet.

With Connect, it was as simple of clicking on the overflow menu and hitting block community or block instance. Worked like a charm!

• joe@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I flip between mobile and desktop too much to rely on any app-specific features. I do have connect but I usually just go to the webpage even on my phone.

• pruwyben
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I’ve been wondering if Hot is broken for everybody. For my subscribed page it shows 7 month old posts with no comments on the first page… makes no sense.

• DrQuint@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

It shouldn’t be THAT broken, however, broke it absolutely is and there was even some github issues on the matter.

Apparently a side effect of lemmy.world going into maintenance so often is that the hot sort refreshes itself a bit.

• Margot Robbie@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I think “Active” is a great default sort for the exact reason you describe, that posts are a lot “stickier” on Lemmy than they were on reddit and you always get good conversation there even days after the post.

Also, it means that we get memes out of our systems way faster, nobody is even talking about the can of beans after day 2.

• thingsiplay@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

@mancy I mainly use Hot and New. What is broken about Hot? And I don’t understand how Top works, because its neither top likes nor top comments. Edit: Never mind, I’m on Kbin and this topic is about Lemmy.

• thingsiplay@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

@Marmanvii Doesn’t happen for me. OH WAIT! I just noticed this is Lemmy. I am on Kbin and saw this through federated content (or through subscribed servers). So never mind then.

• axzxc1236@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I browse lemmy in these orders:

1. Communities I subscribed, sort by new.

2. Active All, I’ve blocked a few meme communities so I don’t see them much.

3. Top 6 hours All.

4. Top 1 hour All.

• Hamartiogonic@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

If there’s a constant onslaught of new posts in your subscriptions and you read stuff several times every day, go with hot.

If the feed is relatively quiet, but you still want to see something new every few hours, sort by new.

If you check Lemmy only once a day, try active or top of 24 h.

• wwaxwork@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Top 6 Hours seems to change the most for me so that’s the one I use, I only check out Lemmy a couple of times a day with my morning and afternoon coffees. Active when I want to deep dive into comments. and if I was here all the time then new would be my sort preference.

• poquito_cabeza@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I sort by active because I like to read comments.

I use Voyager with the option to Mark posts as read on scroll, and then I just hide all the read posts to get a fresh feed.

• renou@feddit.ch
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I always use “New” for my subscribed communities and use “Active” or “Hot” for those outside of my instance because it gets a bit overwhelming.

• cadamanteus@mander.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

There is not yet enough content for your sort selection to really matter. I sort by new because at least I’ll see more content as stuff is posted throughout the day.