• Nesola@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

The mass won’t even consider being part of a paid membership of a cooperative that’s only purpose is a web browser. That would be the way to drive them even more into Chrome or Safari.

• lurch@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

i don’t think you need to be a paid member to use the finished product. membership is for having a say in what will be changed.

• NateNate60@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

This has some serious “only landowners should be allowed to vote” vibes

I will say directly that this model of governance is incompatible with the tenets of free software.

• silly goose meekah@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

I mean, I don’t really think that’s a fair comparison because people aren’t being forced to use this theoretical browser, so it’s not like the “landowners” are making decisions that are forced onto everyone else. It’s more of a “We are using our money/labor to build a house here and everyone can use it for free, we just get to decide the layout”.

Free software, in my book, means software, that respects the users privacy and provides them full control over the software, and that anyone can use, regardless of what they plan to use it for, even when they make their own money off of it by using the software to provide a service for example. It does not mean that it’s a democratic approach to the decision making process in development.

• abessman@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

I will say directly that this model of governance is incompatible with the tenets of free software.

Which of the four freedoms does it fall short of?

• orrk@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

2, and by extension 3 and 4

Hell depending on what this capital class votes for even 1 might be out the window.

• orrk@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

because having some capital class dictate the project is entirely antithetical to having the choice to contribute, even the AI stuff is just being contributed by a few large companies who want it

• abessman@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  4 months ago

because having some capital class dictate the project is entirely antithetical to having the choice to contribute

Why?

the AI stuff is just being contributed by a few large companies who want it

Contributing something because you want it is how free software works.

• orrk@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    ·
                    4 months ago

yes, and having a subscription based shareholder system is antithetical to this