• Wreckronomicon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Not being a conversational person.

I don’t do small talk very well and I very quickly run put of things to say to someone I don’t know so I don’t like to just talk rubbish with someone, I prefer to remain quiet and get on with what I am doing.

I don’t mean that the person isn’t worth talking to or I don’t like them, if they need something from me or have a question then I’ll galdly answer or help them, but almost everyone takes it as a slight against them when i dont want to engage in idle chit chat and assume I’m an arsehole when I’m really not trying to be.

• Che Banana@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

listen, as someone who needs to be social but isnt, it is ok to let there be awkward silences. it is ok.

it isn’t your job to be entertaining. conversation is a 2 way road.

contribute, motherfucker

• Thorny_Thicket@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

No. You’re not mandated to listen me ramble about free will, artificial intelligence or simulation theory and I’m not mandated to listen your thoughts about the weather or see pictures of your child.

Conversation is a two way road so when you notice that it’s only flowing to one direction then take the hint and move on.

• The dogspaw @midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

People don’t need to talk to you if they don’t want to People are so selfish just let people be some of use are on the spectrum and don’t want to be forced into dumb conversations just because you can’t be quite for a few hours

• ezmack@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It took me way too long to realize when someone asks how my weekend was it’s because they want to talk about their weekend

• Thorny_Thicket@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

My trick is earbuds. Even if I’m not listening to anything. Also helps to be living in a country where you’re not generally supposed to go talk to strangers