• Candelestine@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

A chilly, distant demeanor. Is it an asshole that hates you, or is it an introvert that just wants to go home?

• Weirdbeardgame@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Honestly I’m an extrovert that gets lost in thought sometimes. I have the meanest looking resting removed face when I am. But I’m as gentle as a butterfly and always up for a good conversation if anyone approaches.

• CoderKat@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Closely related is someone who’s just a bit to the point with their responses. I don’t mean the “I’m just saying” people; those people are assholes. I mean stuff like when someone skips the pleasantries and dives right into their question or comment. Instead of saying “hi”, they’ll dive right into saying “I have an issue with X”. Or when they see something wrong when reviewing your work, they’ll just outright say “this isn’t right” without trying to sugarcoat it.

Personally, I like when people do that, particularly from people I know have good intentions. I don’t want to waste time doing some “hi, how are you / I’m good, yourself?” sort of handshake when someone has a question for me. And reviews are a constant, daily thing in my job (software dev), so I don’t want time wasting flowery language in review comments, nor do I want to waste time typing such up myself.

• atlasraven31@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

“I’m just asking questions.” Could be a child, could be a moon-landing conspiracy person.

• alokir@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Could be someone who’s genuinely trying to understand someone’s viewpoint, but it reveals inconsistencies in the other person’s logic, so they get irritated.

• EliasChao@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Ever since getting into arguments with strangers online stopped being fun for me, I try to be extremely polite to people when I’m asking a probably confrontational question.

On the internet, a good amount of time people asking questions in comments sections are often just trying to show others how much they know about something in the most passive aggressively way possible, so it better to always be extra clear that you’re trying to engage on a healthy discussion.

• maegul@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Politeness online can go a very long way. Once you realise this, it honestly starts to become a bit cringe how many people are stomping around online being rude and just generally, IMO/IME, stressing everyone else out and bringing down the vibes of the place.

• pickelsurprise@lemmy.loungerat.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Eh, if it’s coming from an adult who should know better, I wouldn’t say it’s being misinterpreted as a sign of being an asshole.

• Chaotic Entropy@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

E.g. Tucker Carlson is just asking questions so that he can supply his own answers to them, that he doesn’t want to suffer the obvious consequences for stating.

• CoderKat@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I think the big deciding factor is how they’re approaching the questions and what the questions are. Like, if someone is “just asking questions” where the questions just so happen to be a common bad faith talking point, yeah, I’m gonna assume they’re also acting in bad faith.

Eg, leading questions are a particularly common example here. The amount of lean towards their already-decided viewpoint can vary. They might word their question to be convinced away from their viewpoint as the default (“why isn’t the moon landing fake?”), or maybe they’ll provide a statement that obviously gives more weight to their side (“the government is so untrustworthy, so how can we trust the moon landing was real?”).

But often, they even do word the questions in a perfectly valid way, because they’re not trying to get an answer. They’re not gonna be convinced and they’re trying to get an answer. What they want to do is make someone else mistake being stumped for “this person might be right”. Eg, if someone asks you “is the moon landing real?” and you don’t actually know how to prove that it’s real, that can make you think that perhaps it wasn’t real. After all, you can’t explain how it is. But that’s a fallacy. You not being able to explain it has nothing to do with whether or not it’s real. Asking questions is cheap and easy. It takes no time investment compared to answering or understanding an answer. That makes it effective for planting seeds of doubt. And of course, people should think critically, but many folks aren’t going to or aren’t don’t have the time. So they’ll retain this low effort seed of doubt and that’s it.

Plus of course, searching for these questions, especially leading ones, can get you to fall into conspiracy theory or alt right echo chambers, which will have the leading question included in multiple times and technically is a better match from a pure SEO point of view. Search engines do try and train themselves against the common leading questions, but they often have to do that explicitly. This is actually an area where search engines like DuckDuckGo do worse at. You’re more likely to have a leading question in the top results because, again, it really is the most accurate match for that question. Should search engines direct you to the correct results or should they direct you to the results that are most accurate for what you searched for? Nobody really agrees and it’ll be criticized either way (personally, I think that correctness is far more important because otherwise the search engines propagates misinformation).

• CallumWells@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I usually find the best argument against “is the moon landing fake” or equivalent stuff to be the fact that the Soviet Union stated it was real, when they would have benefited a lot more from denying it and/or proving it to be fake. When your enemy supports your argument then it’s more probable that it’s true.

• Wreckronomicon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Not being a conversational person.

I don’t do small talk very well and I very quickly run put of things to say to someone I don’t know so I don’t like to just talk rubbish with someone, I prefer to remain quiet and get on with what I am doing.

I don’t mean that the person isn’t worth talking to or I don’t like them, if they need something from me or have a question then I’ll galdly answer or help them, but almost everyone takes it as a slight against them when i dont want to engage in idle chit chat and assume I’m an arsehole when I’m really not trying to be.

• Che Banana@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

listen, as someone who needs to be social but isnt, it is ok to let there be awkward silences. it is ok.

it isn’t your job to be entertaining. conversation is a 2 way road.

contribute, motherfucker

• Thorny_Thicket@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

No. You’re not mandated to listen me ramble about free will, artificial intelligence or simulation theory and I’m not mandated to listen your thoughts about the weather or see pictures of your child.

Conversation is a two way road so when you notice that it’s only flowing to one direction then take the hint and move on.

• The dogspaw @midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

People don’t need to talk to you if they don’t want to People are so selfish just let people be some of use are on the spectrum and don’t want to be forced into dumb conversations just because you can’t be quite for a few hours

• ezmack@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It took me way too long to realize when someone asks how my weekend was it’s because they want to talk about their weekend

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

My trick is earbuds. Even if I’m not listening to anything. Also helps to be living in a country where you’re not generally supposed to go talk to strangers

• CoderKat@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s bizarre to me how many people assume that disabilities must be visible. And not just visible, but that it has to be glaringly visible.

You’d think that it’d be well known that visibilities might not be obvious, but nope.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I have an invisible, part-time disability. I used to have a wheelchair and a handicapped hang tag, but I got rid of the tag because it wasn’t worth getting hassled everywhere I parked. Thankfully, the medication is helping and I haven’t needed the wheelchair in a very long time, but that doesn’t mean I won’t need it tomorrow.

It’s like people want any excuse to be a righteous jackass.

• CallumWells@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

In general if you’re parking across 2+ parking spots you’re an asshole, no matter if the parking spots are disabled or not. There are exceptions, but one would have to be considerate in how one parks for those to be legitimate (IMHO).

• CoderKat@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

In particular, women are more likely to be viewed as “bitchy”, “bossy”, etc for doing the exact same thing that a man could do without being considered as such.

So it’s not just women speaking up, but also that there’s a gender imbalance in how that speaking up can be viewed.

• Piers@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

That can go either direction though. Sometimes the women are being unfairly judged for reasonable behaviour a man wouldn’t be challenged for. Sometimes the women are being judged for unreasonable behaviour that a man would be unfairly unchallenged for.

• EliasChao@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

To be fair though, sincerity without empathy is just assholeness. There are way to many people justifying their asshole behaviors with “being sincere”.

• Damage@feddit.it
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Yeah, people are complicated. Honest opinions might hurt when expressed too harshly, and the hostility might prevent them from being received at all

• button_masher@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Sometimes there are moments where some people have different life experiences which lead to different stimuli of insight. These people may potentially take criticism roughly and may need some easing and gentleness. Such people may have the tendency to withdraw or lose confidence upon hearing relatively short messages with no emotional context and then perceive them having negative intent or feeling that they are not worth you time. They may want to talk to sit and form connections instead of pure efficiency of communication. (/s?)

I enjoy shaping bushes. Great memories.

• ekky43@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

That is true. And on the other hand, or perhaps just by handling their experiences differently, we have those who dislike or even might be offended by being “babyed” or carefully handled/talked down to, and would much rather have an up front interaction where they feel mutually respected.

Both kinds of people exist, and that is fine. One must just not mistake soft language as universal tool that can be used everywhere, or risk standing out as an “asshole”.

• button_masher@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

What a nice and beautiful response, asshole!

(Sorry… Couldn’t help myself. I’m sure you’re a lovely person)

As someone below commented, empathy matters. Knowing the audience is key, whether you’re giving the middle finger or giving a thank you speech.

You reminded me of this moment: https://youtu.be/up0d6cZQhIU

• s20@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

The way you can tell the difference between honesty and being an asshole is of they say they just “tell it like it is,” they’re assholes.

This is a joke, not a rule, but it’s based in reality.

• mbryson@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Massive one. People automatically assume those who have defined areas that others are not allowed to access (ie personal/physical contact, topics of communication, literal areas they restrict in their home, etc) are prudish and being willfully obstinate for unfounded reasons, without considering why these boundaries are set in the first place.

The second you inconvenience someone, they assume you’re the problem.

• Mossy Feathers (They/Them)@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Being bluntly honest. People who are neurodivergent can struggle with being “politely dishonest” and can tell you what they think in a very blunt manner without meaning to offend.

Not engaging in small talk. Again, people who are neurodivergent tend to prefer talking about things that fascinate them and can have a hard time understanding the point of talking about just whatever.

Struggling with being on time, struggling to focus on someone or something, struggling with eye contact. In general, neurodivergent traits tend to be seen as “asshole behavior” because they are abnormal and don’t conform to society. People who aren’t normal tend to be viewed as assholes because how dare they inconvenience me by being different.

Source: personal experience as well as listening to the experiences of others. I’ve been hit with all these things at least once and accused of being an asshole, aloof, and/or self-centered.

• CallumWells@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

I find that struggling to be on time is fine, actually not being on time is disrespectful of my time. In modern society we have so many options available to make sure we can keep on time. Set up alarms, time how long it takes you to get dressed and out the door, time how long it takes you to get somewhere, set alarms to keep you on time based on what you’ve actually measured, not what one “feels” is enough time.

Personally I’m more often than not 5+ minutes early; I can always wait a little more before I go in or something, it’s often harder to “just get there faster”.

BTW; if someone is late because of something outside their control that’s fine; just make sure to inform me ASAP.

• r1veRRR@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

I think the core trait to look out for is willingness to work around personal issues. With time that might be an openness about your problems, at the very least. Maybe aiming for half an hour earlier, communicating status often and early. Fucking up is human, but not trying your best not to fuck up is a dick move.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I tried that. I’ve tried alarms, I’ve tried timing myself, none of it works for me. I’m at the point where the steps I try to take to be on time are actually detrimental to my mental health. It’s why I’ve kinda given up on actually trying to be on time. It’s not that I don’t have respect for you, it’s that I need to have respect for myself. I was putting so much stress on myself that I wasn’t able to enjoy anything anymore. I was disconnecting myself from others because I was afraid of the fact that I couldn’t be on time and how they’d react to it. I legitimately, truly, cannot help it.

I get the feeling from your response that you’re not going to be happy and you’re going to tell me that I’m just lazy, or that I’m irresponsible or inconsiderate. I’m very used to it. Sorry.

• CallumWells@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Why would I bother with calling you lazy or irresponsible or inconsiderate? If you were someone I knew I just wouldn’t invite you to stuff after the first few times you don’t show up on time. Whether people don’t mean to be inconsiderate when showing up late doesn’t matter to me, it’s still not respecting my time and I simply don’t want to deal with that after a few times. But you are just a random person on the internet whose being on time or not does not affect me at all. But I don’t actually believe that you cannot help it at all. Doesn’t mean I’m going to argue about it, that’s your cross to bear and has no effect on me.

The solution for you might be to have all/most social stuff at your place so you don’t have to deal with getting somewhere at a specific time.

• WhipperSnapper@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I think it’s important to bear in mind that some of those things are what neurotypical folks, I guess you could call them, use to convey interest or disinterest. Eye contact is a way to express interest, and helps to show one is intently listening to the speaker. Conversely, frequently glancing away is kind of the body language equivalent of giving short “uh huh” type answers when one is trying to disengage from a conversation.

My point isn’t that you should feel bad about struggling with these nuances; I just think it’s worth mentioning that some of those negative reactions you may have experienced just has to do with expectations in body language. It’s not that someone who’s neurodivergent is being an asshole, it’s just that they’re sending out signals we’re otherwise used to interpreting as disinterest, and that is (often) off-putting.

Again, it’s not something to feel bad about, it’s just communicating on different wavelengths so-to-speak. Sort of like a language/culture difference.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I would agree with you except that I’ve seen people try to clarify that they’re autistic, or ADHD, or bipolar, etc, and explain that it causes them to act in that manner and sometimes, no matter how hard they try, they can’t surpress it or “act normal”; only to be told overwhelmingly by the people in the room/thread that they’re an asshole and selfish for not trying hard enough.

I do understand that some of those things are used as visual indicators for people to determine how the other is feeling about the current conversation, and maybe it’s way more important to people than I realize; but there are way too many people who will tell you that if you can’t alter your behavior to be normal, then you’re an asshole.

• WhipperSnapper@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Man, I’m sorry to hear that’s your experience. I guess some folks simply refuse to be understanding.

• vacuumflower@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

I mean, if somebody thinks you should alter your behavior for them and they shouldn’t do the same, then they are confidently an asshole.

• Phoebe@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah, i can relate. Yesterday i empathized with people doing moral wrong stuff, saying that i can understand their logic. And than was acused that it would be my logic. That irrate me the whole night, but in the end it just was my brutal honesty and a lack of black and white thinking.

But yeah, it hurts when people missread that. I hope you doing good :)

• OwenEverbinde@lemmy.myserv.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Not to be mistaken for “tough love,” the concept that manipulative people will often use to defend their coercive verbal assaults on their targets.

• breathless_RACEHORSE@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

The fact that they have a record.

Look for a pattern, not a single instance. And yet companies and people hold bad decisions of the past against most folks.

• The Cuuuuube@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I tell people this all the time. But I have to. It’s like… If I don’t, I won’t know if I’m still real.

I was on the train once headed into the city. A dude getting off the train looks me dead in the eye and says “never trust unsolicited advice” and then stepped through the door.

That was it. That was the entire interaction. Completely blew my mind. I did ultimately decide it was legitimate advice. But still, it was wild being told not to trust the advice I was receiving.

• probably@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The fun thing about that is the dude gave you paradoxical advice. If you take theiradvice and don’t trust unsolicited advice, then you are trusting unsolicited advice. If you don’t take their advice then you are following their advice by not trusting unsolicited advice.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Right? It’s why it blew my goddamn mind. I wonder if someone dropped that bomb on him the same way a long time ago and now I’m supposed to pay it forward

• SapphicFemme@lib.lgbt
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

That is the rare actually good advice i think, because no matter what route you go, it is proven logically good.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

That man knew exactly what he was doing. He’s still probably out there. Causing minor bouts of chaos along the commuter network of the greater metropolitan Washington, DC area

• button_masher@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I resonate with your “won’t know if I’m real” feeling.

Something happens to you and it’s actually useful lesson. If a tree falls… How can you not share?

That’s a great encounter… Would be fun to give chaotic good nudges to strangers.

• Serpardum@lemmyonline.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

Unrequested advice is always taken for criticism. Don’t do it. Ask first. “May I give you fome advice?”

• SapphicFemme@lib.lgbt
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It’s worse after you vent to someone and they give you it. Especially when it was unwanted.

• SighBapanada@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Well for one, I wish I could tell people no when they ask me to social events without being interpreted as an asshole

• miss_brainfart@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

Honestly, in a situation like this, I don’t care. If I’m busy, I’m busy. And if politely telling them that is seen as rude, it’s not me who’s the problem.

• ImFresh3x@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

I don’t know anyone who doesn’t understand the concept of “I’m busy tonight.” Nor have I ever heard of someone thinking it’s rude to not always be available.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

But if you have no intention to then you’re just lying and now you’re actually being an asshole instead of just being thought to be one

• ninja@hoboninjachicken.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I once had a coworker tell me he wasn’t going to a company event because he “was working on saying no to things.” I thought that was really cool. Not sure how well it would work though for, say, saying no to a friend’s invite 🤷‍♂️

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Reminds of a post a few days ago, that described how people think you’re condescending and sit on a high horse, just because you use some fancy words here and there.

Meanwhile I’m just trying to describe something with as much detail as possible, because it’s important to convey exactly what I mean.

• Piers@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I find treading the line between people thinking I’m talking down to them vs them thinking I’m pretentiously trying to seem smarter than them exhausting. It’s a stupid game where I try really hard not to unintentiont piss people off and they get offended and resentful anyway because I dared to try to communicate with them but failed to perfectly thread the needle of how to speak to them on a level they are comfortable with.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I’m at a point where I just don’t care anymore. If someone can’t appreciate that my intention is to improve their understanding of the matter, then they can suck my nuts, and fuck off.

• Piers@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            11 months ago

Sadly I find that the people who I most often come into conflict about this with are the ones who have unknowingly curated their social world to only people with very similar brains to themselves by being an intolerable jerk to those who don’t (I suspect their discomfort with someone being “smarter” than them stems from projecting their own feelings and behaviour towards those “dumber” than them) but due to external circumstances of life we are forced to try our best to get along. The fact that they make that unecesarily difficult doesn’t change that I still need to do my best to do so. Meanwhile, anyone I don’t need to get along with who acts that way tends to very quickly pick up on the message to suck my nuts and fuck off. For those who I must get along with I try very hard not to try to clarify things for them unless it seems either quite important that they have a better understanding or that it would be very easy and non-comtraversial to do so. I still usually try to give them plenty of time to figure it out themselves, then try to give them the least amount of prompting possible. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Meanwhile I’ll still happily ask for their help if there’s something that exceeds my capabilities but not theirs. It’s just a shame that intelligence (whatever that really means) is somehow seen as more important an indicator of someone’s worth than most other random traits like height, coordination etc.

As a profoundly clumsy person I’ve never felt I was being personally insulted by someone else being dexterous for example.

• Empricorn@feddit.nl
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Being vague and expecting everyone to know what you mean with a particular acronym. HFAYQT? 🤷‍♂️

• Capricorny90210@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Someone who’s assertive (not to be mistaken for someone who thinks they’re assertive and really is just an asshole).

Someone offering constructive criticism.

Especially those two put together.