• scytale@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Putting Brave and Firefox next to each other doesn’t sit right with me. I’d say Brave is the tech normie’s “secure” browser. Then you can put Librewolf next to Firefox.

• Silvia@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

As someone who went from Chrome to Brave, im actually very curious. What are some of the differences between Firefox and Brave? Should I make it a priority to switch?

• 737@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        20 hours ago

mainly not being based on chromium, no integrated crypto stuff, css theming support, and some compatibility issues with complex websites (as a result of no chromium)

• NormalC@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Both Brave and Firefox are both weakly copylefted libre software (MPLv2). However both programs are culpable to privacy pitfalls and bad practices. Brave has its infamous crypto/ad scheme and firefox has google search as its default engine (among other opt out telemetry). Both have users run nonfree javascript by default.

Use firefox instead of Brave since firefox gives you more freedom on how hardened you want your web browser to be from a very low level. Theres also Librewolf for privacy and GNU Icecat for freedom.

Also package maintainers have firefox in their repos and virtually never have Brave

• animelivesmatter@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Yeah, after a number of people tried to go after Mozilla for hiring trans people, those kinds of people are mostly on Brave nowadays

• Viking_Hippie@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

On the other hand, being called not too lazy and paranoid about gaming difficulties to switch to Linux for using Firefox is overly generous towards people like me 😁

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

You can differentiate between GNU/Linux users and Linux users on whether they have steam installed, and differentiate further if it is installed as a flatpak or not.

• Kayn@dormi.zone
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Most Linux users on the internet are elitists.

Not much more to take away from that comment. It’s essentially differentiating between “casual Linux users” and “real Linux users”.

• PrivateNoob@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

As a Linux enjoyer it’s definitely true that the elitist/casual ratio is higher on Linux compared to Windows or MacOS (especially Arch manual installers), but as more and more people will adopt Linux, this ratio will probably be lower and lower.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

It’s not differentiating between “casual Linux users” or “real Linux users,” Valve’s Steam does not belong in the GNU operating system (GNU/Linux) since it forces users to install a nonfree interface and also invites users to be subject to DRM (though it is optional for developers to enable or not). The problem is not Steam’s role as a content distribution manager (handling payments, delivering files), but the fact that it restricts the users freedom through their steam client (which there are no viable free software solutions to).

If a discussion of free software unnerves you, I don’t care. But to label this as a conflict between “casual vs real, normie vs elite” is just unironically doing what this meme is mocking in the first place.

• Kayn@dormi.zone
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

Here we go.

Who are you to decide what does and does not belong on Linux?

• Sunrosa@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

GNU preaches free software. Steam is nonfree. I think they’re just trying to point that out.

• GrapefruitDoggo@lemmy.blahaj.zone
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              11 months ago

I think what they were specifying was the role GNU plays in that sentence. Personally I don’t like calling one GNU/Linux and the other Linux, but the defining point of GNU is that it’s uses only free open source software, and does not contain any non-free (as in speech, not beer) software.

• PrivateNoob@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Paranoid people usually will use a flatpak version of software, since that can secure the person’s privacy a bit more than a non-flatpak one. (The program is isolated from the system, just like a docker container if you know what that is)

• animelivesmatter@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

The extreme customization it offers is fun, but even on my gaming rig the updates of source packages are unbearably slow, I would never use it as a daily driver.

• Sunrosa@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

probably in between conservative and paranoid. as with Arch, imo. NixOS is great btw. Gentoo people are insane (in a good way).

• sorrybookbroke@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Previously a musk simp, until it started effecting him. he’s a YouTube techfluencer who’s always all in on tech. Full blown optimism even when it’s obviously wrong with sudo-libertarian ideals without calling himself libertarian. Guy thinks the best of all tech companies while ignoring all faults until it’s insanely in-your-face