Ironic, isn’t it?

• CriticalResist8@lemmygrad.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Apparently if Reddit paid mods 20$ an hour, it would cost them 20 million a year. They made 1.2 billion dollars last year.

• MochiGamer@lemmygrad.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Just the very idea they make any profit despite utilizing almost universal unpaid labour is ridiculous. The only issue I see with moving forward is that the user base leaving that website and flocking to say… here; except for those willing to understand workers rights, anti-capitalism, or FOSS, the majority of new users seem to only seek to replicate Reddit, and honestly reddit as a whole has needed to rot off for a while thanks to not only the bots but the general and growing toxicity of the websites’ userbase and management seeking to continue that dopamine rush driven content stream and drama theatre.
      I love this website for what it is even though I just arrived, I don’t want it to become reddit or replicate reddit, these people can’t seem to break their redditor addictions and see there can be something NEW here unrestricted by capitalistic profit desires. Hope they come around tbh.

• I wish they’d implement a consistent moderation on their end to prevent biased mods though who bans based on own political standing. I wonder if Reddit will try to modernize the approach. Although I doubt it. They put in minimal effor expecting ridiculous gains.

• redtea@lemmygrad.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I imagine this would lead to worse political oppression. Most of the people who run the big social media platforms are affiliated with secret services or the military. I can’t see them knowingly employing or giving discretion to anti-capitalists.

• They already have the option to do as they please and they most definitely do. Removing unpaid moderation and forcing standardised moderation on Reddit would only lead to good things. Power tripping mods ruin communities. Unpaid mods are a crime against the working class. If the unified moderating wouldn’t work out for most people it would motivate them to go out of Reddit’s clutches. There’s all to gain and nothing to lose.