one assessment suggests that ChatGPT, the chatbot created by OpenAI in San Francisco, California, is already consuming the energy of 33,000 homes. It’s estimated that a search driven by generative AI uses four to five times the energy of a conventional web search. Within years, large AI systems are likely to need as much energy as entire nations.

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Hey now. Rule one of this community is “Be civil - Attack the argument, not the person.” What does any of this genocide stuff have to do with the argument being discussed here?

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

The discussion here? Nothing. The person trying to have a discussion with me? Everything. Because yesterday, he said that I support genocide both due to the fact that I will do anything to keep Trump out of office to save my queer daughter’s life and due the the fact that I exist. And now he wants to chat with me as if he never said that.

No one did anything about it in this community when he said those things. And, believe it or not, the topic of discussion was not genocide.

Why should I let someone who was that hateful towards me act like nothing was ever said a day later?

• agent_flounder@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

I’m with you on this 100% and not just because my own queer daughter’s life is on the line.

If we are gonna play the ‘be civil’ card, play it on everyone. Certainly don’t overlook people accusing others of genocide. You’d think that didn’t need to be said but shrug

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Because it’s against the sub’s rules to attack him personally.

Why not block him? You’ll never see him again.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 months ago

He attacked me personally repeatedly and nothing was done. Why is he being held to a different standard?

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 months ago

Again- you said I supported genocide no matter who I voted for or whether I voted or not.

I specifically asked you who I should vote for or if I should even vote at all to not support genocide. You specifically told me that it didn’t matter who I voted for or if I didn’t vote.

You also don’t give a shit about queer people since you don’t think anything should be done to stop the coming queer genocide that will end up making my own daughter marched into a camp. Queer people can be killed off and you won’t give a shit.

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 months ago

I’m not holding him to a different standard. I wasn’t in whatever fight you and he might have had, I don’t know what community it happened in.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              4 months ago

You seem to be holding both him and yourself to a different standard since you just made a personal attack.

And it happened in this community. You could have asked which community.

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                4 months ago

Where did I make a personal attack? The comment where you explicitly asked for examples of you being anti-AI?

And you’re slinging personal attacks against both of us, so if “holding people to different standards” is such a big deal, well…

I didn’t ask because it didn’t matter. I wasn’t present, I have no idea what you guys were arguing about and I don’t care. The point is that you suddenly brought that argument in here, where it’s a complete non-sequitur and not relevant to the subject at hand. And you’re certainly not being civil about it.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  4 months ago

Where did I make a personal attack?

Right here:

Last week you were advocating in favor of mobs burning self-driving cars if they were “pissed off” by them.

Because that is a false accusation intended to make me look bad. And you know it.

• FaceDeer@kbin.social
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    4 months ago

You literally asked for that. What a wonderful catch-22 you set up; if nobody responded with the evidence you demanded you could claim people were lying about you, and if they provided it you can claim they’re launching personal attacks.

Rereading that previous thread, I see you were quick to accuse me of issuing personal attacks there too. Seems to be a common theme.

Anyway. Is there anything more to discuss here about the actual topic of this thread, the energy usage of ChatGPT?