See the kitty when he is not sleeping, on Tapas or Webtoon.

• Pika@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Don’t worry, I’m lost with everything loading completely fine. It looks like the kitty is demonic and got sliced by the nails but it’s still alive and super happy that he has a friend? It’s a little confusing, especially the part where he squished the cats head in

• OpulentDoorstop@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

A Summary of This Comic, for Those with Some Free Time:

Satan adores the adorableness of his cat. Charcoal is so cute, Satan wants to squish Charcoal’s little face. And he does. Which is a problem because Satan, in fact, did not want to squish Charcoal’s little face.

While holding hand-mashed cranium, Satan is shocked, worried his sick gains have ended his healthy cat. Then Charcoal’s voice calls out: “Hurrah!”. The feline’s disembodied head reforms in the air while his disem-headed body stands up and tries to crawl into Satan’s lap. You’d think a pet-owner would be happy with a not-dead pet, but Satan’s smile appears to be broken. He slowly lays down as Charcoal, oblivious, doles out the nuzzles. Satan goes fully horizontal, which Charcoal takes as an invite to Sleepytown. From Charcoal’s perspective, he gets pats and naps. That’s a great day for a cat.

Later, Death happens upon them both, deeply concerned to see the demon holding his cat’s head and body… in separate arms. Satan assures him the cat is sleeping. He might need a doctor, but his cat is just fine.

End Summary

I’ve been kicking this one around in my head since I posted it. I couldn’t put my finger on why it felt off. However, like a tyop you only notice once you hit “Reply”, a few things stuck out once I posted it. Notes to self:

1. It’s sad to see kitty get smooshed. It doesn’t matter that he’s okay.
      2. It’s no fun to see Satan get punished for being a loving cat-dad.
      3. The core of the humor in these Charcoal comics is this: normal pet-owner experience on a cosmic scale. Charcoal summons Satan (to give him scritches). Charcoal hunts a rodent (that is also a mirror god). This one doesn’t really fit. In real life, being pet too hard doesn’t result in the cat being happy. This strip isn’t an exaggeration grounded in a recognizable cat-owning experience, which is part of what’s making it hard to follow. It’s surreal, and it’s not surreal on purpose.
      4. Draw a background, pussy.
      • kamills@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Gotta say, this comic sure is above my level of understanding, but thanks for breaking it down for me.

Also that single high detail pane reminds me of SpongeBob square pants, I like it

• OpulentDoorstop@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

No problem! Storytelling is communication, and I’m still learning to talk to someone besides myself. It’s a process.

Also, that was the funnest panel to make.

• garbagebagel@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I don’t understand it but I love it and I love you almost as much as Satan loves Charcoal (but not all the way because I’m not sure you’d survive a head squishy).

• DudeDudenson@lemmings.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Are you in boost? If you Fullscreen the image by clicking on it there’s an HD button that downloads the original image rather than the compressed preview