I’m pretty thy a newbie when it comes to networking and stuff, but was wondering if it’s possible to run jellyfin as a server on my shield. A bit fed up looking at plex and wondering what alternatives I have. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

Edit: thanks all for the replies and suggestions.

• Vittelius@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 个月前

I don’t think it’s practical. Sure, you could install termux and use that to run Jellyfin, but you won’t have a pleasant time.

The better play is, to play spend 30 Bucks on a refurbished thin client and use that as your server. If you install Open Media Vault on there you’ll never even have to touch the command line. (You’ll have to install OMV-Extras on top of Open Media Vault for that).

• Vittelius@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 个月前

I’m using a Dell t520. That works really well for me.

But honestly: pretty much every client in that price range should work. Just check whether the (embedded) graphics chip can hardware transcode your media beforehand. And you probably won’t run the next Netflix on there but it’s more than enough for a family usecase with multiple streams simultaneously.

• entropicdrift@lemmy.sdf.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 个月前

Jellyfin server isn’t available for Android. If you installed Linux on your Shield, then yeah it would run, but none of the Android streaming apps would, so meh.

Like someone else said, just get a used office computer for cheap and run your server off of that.

The hardware transcoding from even somewhat older Intel iGPUs is rock solid.

• Rambler@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 个月前

That’s interesting, thanks. I’ll need to have another think about the direction I want to go here. I would definately like to learn a bit about Linux in the process - old brain cells withstanding.

• entropicdrift@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 个月前

It’s the best OS for running servers for sure. Extremely stable, basically never needs a reboot except when there’s a kernel update.

• worfamerryman@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 个月前

Can you run plex as a server on the shield?

I’m not really familiar with that device. Are you running android on it or Linux?

• Rambler@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 个月前

Yeah, I have it running now, but I’m unsure the direction the company is taking and looking for a jump-off point.

Edit : typo

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 个月前

What OS are you running? If plex works on it and it’s Linux, then Jellyfin should work just fine.

If you are on iOS the client is not nearly as good, but you should use Swiftfin. Instead of the default one.

link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 个月前

Wow! Thanks it’s really great. It says that syncing is a paid feature but since I’m using jellyfin it still syncs.

This is really great. If it were not a subscription, I would have paid for this app. I don’t really care for the pro features, but the standard app is really nice.