amerikkka

• happybadger [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

n X, former known as Twitter, Jane reports that the man in Air Force uniform said he was “an active duty member of the U.S. Air Force and I will no longer be complicit in genocide.” He then set himself on fire and repeatedly shouted “Free Palestine.”

Critical support. Everyone else in the US military should follow his example and self-immolate.

• joaomarrom [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Here’s a song to honor his bravery

edit: You know what, I posted this late at night, I was tired and hadn’t really processed this event entirely. This comment came off as callous, very dismissive and heartless. What this guy did was not just something that I want to make an offhand joke about. This was fucking intense, honestly the ultimate gesture a person can make as a protest. I watched the video today and heard his blood-curdling screams of “free Palestine” and I’m ready to do a 180 and say that this whole event was a punch in the gut. I initially did not take it seriously thinking it was a dumbass soldier doing a dumbass thing, but this is something else entirely. Despite him having been a cog in the imperialist war machine, I have no words to describe the power of his protest. I would never have expected this from a person in his position. I have spent the entire day thinking about the meaning of self-immolation, and I find it intensely humbling, hard to even think about.