I’m in a catch 22 situation. I want to go to a four year college, but I was previously placed in the remedial track and have a poor academic standing. If I go to a community college, I could improve my grades, but the material they cover is a replacement for high school classes and I’d be precluded from signing up for entry classes at the four year college. This seems like to would put me at a disadvantage when that finally happened and I would only be setting myself up for long term failure.

I’d consider CC if I could “transfer” in as a freshman to a four year, but the colleges I looked into all have rules against applying as a freshman if you have two years worth of credits. When I tried CC, the material was absolutely high school level just with smaller font in the textbooks.

• The_Pete@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Well, there’s two ways forward, one is that you bite the bullet and get your AA which almost always transfers as most of the first 2 years and you’ll be on to most of your degree course work.

Or, you apply directly college again and you write tour essays on how you’ve grown as a person. The second one will require some time between being suspended and applying again so I don’t know if its an option and that usually requires you have something to show for your about face, I.e. you’ve worked your way up in some kind ofcareerr for a few years. So that can be a real trick.

They aren’t concerned with if you’ll be learning anything while you raise your grades, they are concerned if you are going to put in the effort and stick with it so they don’t take an opportunity from someone that actually wants to put in the work.

It’s kinda BS, but also, its adult consequences in an adult world. At the end of the day, you made decisions that make colleges think you need to do some highschool work again so, you’re going to have to deal with the consequences, and that includes doing redundant work, both in cc and then to fill in the gaps once you transfer.

• Duamerthrax@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

I wouldn’t have a problem with convincing colleges I’ve competent. I’m friends with plenty of college facility and get asked to be an “Industry Expert” for high school judging events they run. It’s my academic ability I don’t trust. I can self teach if I have a project to do, but I can’t self teach if I don’t know about the concepts. One time I tried CC for their geometry classes, they said I tested out and refused. Currently, I’m struggling with an online high school’s geometry class and would really benefit from having a classroom and schedule. Wish some of the online high schools adopted the “virtual classroom” model that all the public schools tried during covid.