The screenshot doesn’t make it apparent, but the user self-deleted that account.

As a user, it’s annoying when there’s good conversations in the comments that just disappear forever.

As an instance admin, it’s annoying to have that inaccessible stuff just taking up space until it maybe, eventually gets garbage collected months later (except any thumbnails/media…that lives forever wasting space 😠)

• Admiral Patrick@dubvee.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Not at all that I could tell. I mean, I upvoted all 3 of them lol.

It seems like this kind of pattern has been happening more frequently lately in both UnpopularOpinion and AskLemmy. I’m just gonna stop responding to accounts less than a week old, I guess.

• SomeGuy69@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Just stop caring. I respond for my own enjoyment and for that person who might read it that moment. The internet is forgetting fast on an accelerating speed by now, so if the comment is gone in a few hours, so be it.

• Hucklebee@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Somewhere, someplace, a data hoarder feels a shiver running down his spine. “We cannot lose another word.” he murmers as he stares at his walls of harddrives.

• rufus
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Yeah, I think comments shouldn’t vanish along with a deleted post. And posts and comments shouldn’t get automatically deleted alongside an account. Somehow everything is just the other way around here. And it’s rarely a good thing.