(skeletor is leading by example by adding that unnecessary apostrophe…)

• Xyre@lemmus.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I emailed my bank about this a few years ago. Never heard back but to my surprise they actually updated the password restrictions! I should send another email asking for MFA and virtual cards…

• veroxii@aussie.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Jeez mate you gotta get on that! You have the magic powers and you’re holding back civilization’s progress with your procrastination!

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

virtual cards

Do you mean tap-to-pay, or do you mean card numbers you can use for online purchases?

• Xyre@lemmus.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

I think a more apt description would be proxy cards. It’s relatively new, but it lets you create cards that are linked to your primary without ever issuing a plastic card. This way if fraud happens you only need to replace it for the services it was used on. Or if you happen to lose your physical card, you can have it replaced without affecting the others.

• Gestrid@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

I think this is the same thing as when I said

card numbers you can use for online purchases

I admittedly didn’t describe it very well, though.

• Xin_shill@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Truly ancient Cobol running in the back is my only guess. Why they wouldn’t have their authentication systems completely separate with better security features and some sort of token based access to the backend is beyond my understanding of their back end.

• NaibofTabr@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

This isn’t really true. If it were the financial world would be incredibly unstable and untrustworthy, and nobody would keep their money in banks.

Banks do tend to be behind the leading edge because their systems are thoroughly tested and have to be stable. They have to be regularly audited and there’s a lot of oversight. Change control processes are inherently slow. Given a choice between rapid and flexible or deliberate and reliable, banks will take the cautious route.

• theneverfox@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Why is our money based on debt? Why do banks keep getting away with nearly collapsing the global economy? Why do private institutions have the right to coin currency?

Because banks put themselves in extremely risky situations, and civilization is based on the idea that money has value and the law is enforced. So laws get passed whenever they’re in danger (usually self inflicted)

Banks have security through legislation. It’s extra illegal to hack them. And since that’s the case, what’s a little more risk for a little higher profit? -_-