fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

That’s the tax case.

This is civil so I don’t think she can get a slice of that even when that happens.

A normal person would have their earnings garnished, but trump doesn’t have any legit income to garnish

• AbidanYre@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Isn’t this one tax fraud? Are you saying there’s another tax fraud case going on against Trump at the same time?

Her being James in this case?

Jesus Christ, where’s that “you are here” dude from Reddit when we need him?

• Nougat@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

This is for the tax case; Carroll’s judgment for the most recent one was $83.3M. They’re both civil cases, though this one is NY State, and Carroll’s is federal.

In either case, if the bond amount is not posted, there is no appeal, and assets can be seized to fulfill the legal consequences.

• Buffalox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Even if he offered $453m, this is not how it works. There’s a judgement on $454m including interest, and that’s it, and it increases every day he doesn’t pay.

• RubberDuck@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I wonder what the legal arguments was to the courts that would allow/require them to settle for 25 cents on the dollar.

• Buffalox@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I haven’t heard about any legal argument, I frankly don’t think they had any.
        It’s probably a PR stunt, where Trump will claim he offered a GOOD deal, and be all offended when they begin to confiscate because he can’t pay.
        And his gullible followers will fall for it, and think Trump is the victim.

• Jo Miran@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

“The exorbitant and punitive amount of the judgment, coupled with an unlawful and unconstitutional blanket prohibition on lending transactions…"

Please excuse my ignorance but, which of the constitutional amendments guarantees US citizens access to loans?

• grabyourmotherskeys@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        4 months ago

Deep cut but so very representative of right wing people. They have two modes of supporting their arguments:

1. Rare: drown you in bs arguments (here are 350 made up examples of how the election was stolen) knowing you won’t refute each one. You give up, they think they “won”. This can come in the form of a 2 hour youtube.

2. Common: “I don’t need evidence, I just know”, “I’m telling you that most regulations are bad, but can’t give you a single example”, or "I am ignoring your obvious question because I have never thought deeply about this and can’t face that reality ".

My personal favorite is when they link a article that completely contradicts their point and refuse to discuss that.

/rant

• nilloc
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            4 months ago

The way they share facts that contradict their arguments, but somehow interpret them to mean the exact opposite, has been one of the hardest things to deal with in personal conversations. Just makes me want to shake them while yelling “no, that’s not how that works! That’s not how any of that works!”

• Buffalox@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              4 months ago

Tide goes in, tide goes out. Nobody can explain that.
              -Bill O’Reilly

Argument from ignorance

• Oderus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Didn’t he say he was too rich to pay? Now he’s offering to pay but less than 1/4th of the original amount.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Edited: Wrong multi million dollar judgement

To clarify: this isn’t paying Carroll, this is putting up a 110% bond, then when appeals are done it will be used to pay out and trump gets the extra 10% back.

He said he’s so rich that there’s no need for the bond. I think they offered to pay “a fraction” which came out to under $100

Which the judge denied because they waited till literally the 11th hour to submit it.

Now when they try to argue he can’t come up with the money by the deadline, this will get thrown in his face.

I don’t think they can force him to liquidate property for this because it’s civil, but I believe if they force liquidation for the civil judgement, Carroll can go after anything remaining that has been liquidated, and hopefully take it directly instead of it going thru the black hole that is Trump’s checkbook.

It’s probably the only way she’ll actually get paid.

• themeatbridge@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

This isn’t the Carroll case at all. This is the New York fraud judgement against him.

I don’t know if Trump has put up the bond for appealing the second Carroll verdict. He already has $5 million being held for the appeal on the first verdict against him. It’s very hard to keep track of the money he owes people for crimes Trump has committed.

• gregorum@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

This isn’t a criminal case, it’s a civil case. This is the one where they just get to take all his stuff.

• ForestOrca@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Yay! Can’t wait. Take it today, it would be more merciful, the longer AG James waits, the more the interest accrues.

• Treczoks@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Sadly, no. I’d love to see him endig up behind bars, and there are many of the other legal problems that would rightfully put him in the slammer. But not this case.

Just take some of his beloved real estate and auction it off until the full sum is paid. Hopefully, this will break his ego.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Donald Trump’s lawyers asked a New York appellate court on Wednesday to halt collection of the former president’s $454m civil fraud judgment while he appeals.

“The exorbitant and punitive amount of the judgment coupled with an unlawful and unconstitutional blanket prohibition on lending transactions would make it impossible to secure and post a complete bond,” Trump’s lawyers Clifford Robert, Alina Habba and Michael Farina wrote.

His lawyers are asking the appellate division of the state’s trial court to decide whether Engoron “committed errors of law and/or fact” and whether he abused his discretion or “acted in excess” of his jurisdiction.

The Republican presidential frontrunner has until 25 March to secure a stay, a legal mechanism pausing collection while he appeals.

Trump, the leading candidate for the Republican presidential nomination, maintains that he is worth several billion dollars and testified last year that he had about $400m in cash, in addition to properties and other investments.

In January, a jury ordered Trump to pay $83.3m to writer E Jean Carroll for defaming her after she accused him in 2019 of sexually assaulting her in a Manhattan department store in the 1990s.

The original article contains 561 words, the summary contains 190 words. Saved 66%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• NegativeNull@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

On Wednesday, Judge Anil Singh appeared to have some sympathy for Trump, staying the ban over Trump from taking out loans from New York banks and another ban on him serving as an officer of a New York company, both for the next three years.