Im probably not going to switch anytime soon (ive been on GH for over 10 years now), but I wonder if there is something like a Github Alternative?

With all the takedowns (open source or otherwise) occurring lately, I would rather like my code to be somewhere safe-ish.

• mesamune@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Ive seen a couple people recommend Gitea. I might give it a shot.

First time ive heard of Codeberg. Thanks!

• mac@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

For self hosting there’s also Forgejo which is a fork of Gitea

Thats what Codeberg uses

• Rikj000
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Gitea is not really recommended anymore these days, due to being taken over by a for-profit comany + introducing a paid tier.

Nowadays Forgejo is the project to look at.

• abhibeckert@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Forgejo looks good, but I don’t see any support for Gantt charts?

Kanban works well for active work but sometimes you need to step back and look at the longer term plan as well.

• Faresh@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

With all the takedowns (open source or otherwise) occurring lately

Am I out of the loop? Were there any big controversial takedowns recently?

• MajorHavoc@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Minecraft’s modding ecosystem was a big one, quite awhile ago, now.

I think folks are expecting some action against popular emulators, with Nintendo going lawsuit happy.

• mesamune@lemmy.worldOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Nintendo took down quite a few smaller repos too. And links to the Link remaster project. Plus the app Tachiyomi Extensions. Ive just been noticing 2023-2024 has had an increase of code removals. Github is very public now, and any repo that circumvents any kind of hardware/software restrictions is getting more scrutiny.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

Do you really think a smaller service will do a better job defending against Nintendo?

I wish there were more options too but I don’t see GitHub as being at fault here. The law is pretty clear on takedown notices and defending Fair Use claims is horrifically expensive.

• mesamune@lemmy.worldOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

There are smaller services that have not been taken down and have been around for over a decade. It pays be under the radar.

Plus I don’t want to put all my repos under just one service. GH is good don’t get me wrong, but if it ever goes under or starts doing sketchy things that I don’t like, I need an alternative.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              4 months ago

My experience is not much flies under the radar anymore - this stuff is heavily automated and even legitimate content is often accused of infringing (I’ve stopped buying stock photos for example… because using them is likely to result in being accused of copyright infringement and proving you purchased a license is far more effort than they are worth).

https://github.com/github/transparency/blob/main/data/dmca/dmca_takedowns_by_month.csv

That’s their DMCA takedown report (there is also a “transparency center” with pretty charts)… hundreds of takedowns every month, with some of them fought and re-instated. I’d bet smaller sites don’t have any reinstatements. It was last updated 4 months ago, hopefully another update is coming soon.

Definitely a good idea to have eggs in other baskets but there’s a pretty good chance all of them will be taken down at once and GitHub seems like it’d be more likely to come back if you have a defensible case.

• ninpnin@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

It’s also pretty easy to use multiple remotes. I have a github, a gitlab and a codeberg remote in many of the repos I have on my local machine. One short shell script to pull and push from all of them at the same time, and I barely notice the difference

• mesamune@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I do that with a couple of essential repos with GitLab. GitLab has been a bit slow lately and I kinda want to find other alternatives (hence the post).