• ThatWeirdGuy1001@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

I’m not an asshole to every single religious person that exists. It’s only when someone brings up pushing religious ideologies that I get pissed.

I know that’s a big one.

Or that we’re “godless heathens” because not believing in a god somehow means not having morals.

• rekabis@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Or that we’re “godless heathens” because not believing in a god somehow means not having morals

The scariest thing is someone claiming that only religion imparts morals and ethics.

Because if the only thing stopping a person from raping and killing and causing pain and anguish is the religion they have… dude, THEY ARE the monster everyone needs to be afraid of.

My own morals and ethics aren’t forcibly imposed on me by an outside force, ready to snap apart and break off with the smallest of stresses.

No, it is built up inside of me via empathy and understanding and personal experiences, and is therefore a core part of my being and far more immune to corruption or breakage.

• RoquetteQueen@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

And then how many pushy religious people actually follow the good moral lessons from their beliefs, anyway? Like American fundies are so judgmental. Even my quiet, meek Catholic grandmother is so judgmental.