• DillyDaily@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

A slide deck is the analogue version of a PowerPoint.

The deck is the rotating ring that you drop your slides into, then project them on the wall with what is essentially just an overhead projector designed to take small vertical slides of film loaded into the deck, instead of just using transparent sheets.

You’d design all your little film slides, arrange them in order in the deck (think, deck of cards). The deck is what let you automatically swap between slides by pressing the remote to rotate the deck and reveal the next slide to the projector lens.

I’m 32 but my school was broke as fuck so we were still using overheads and slide decks in 2005.

• Swarfega@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Oh man I’ve not seen one of these since I was a kid. I can literally hear this photo.

• doingthestuff@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I’m 50 and grew up with slide presentations and I’ve never used the term slide deck. Maybe I’ve heard it? but it doesn’t really hit home at all.

• Zink@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I’m a little younger, and still remember slides and transparencies and all that, and I’ve heard “slide deck” a bunch in recent years, AND it still sounds so alien and wrong to me!

I think calling each page a “slide” sounds better somehow, like “hey Bob can you send me that powerpoint slide with the pie chart?”

• doingthestuff@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          4 months ago

Yeah I use the word slide that way. I’m rejecting slide deck as a term. We have to remember veto power when it comes to language.

• Blue_Morpho@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

The deck is the rotating ring that you drop your slides into,

It’s always been called a carousel. A deck is the deck of slides like a deck of cards.

• DillyDaily@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Thank you! As I was typing it I knew I didn’t have the right term for the ring bit.

I’m going to ignore the fact I could have easily looked it up to fact check myself before posting, and instead use my age as an excuse.

I was just old enough to remember my teachers using them, but the tech was already outdated so it’s not like anyone ever taught me about that type of projector, I only ever observed it.