Wilson’s release will end a disappointing chapter for both sides. The Broncos went 11-19 in Wilson’s starts over two seasons and failed to make the playoffs.

The Broncos signed Wilson to a five-year, $242.6 million deal after his arrival and will take an $85 million hit in dead money over the next two seasons because of the release.

• Nusm@yall.theatl.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Don’t do it Falcons. I’m begging you, please don’t. PLEASE.

They’re gonna do it, I just know it.

• CthuluVoIP@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

It’s just wild that Russ managed to keep completely clean throughout the dispute and left them with no choice but to pay him either way. I think dude has lost the fire he once had for the game as his life off the field has evolved, which is great for him, but if I’m the Broncos front office I’m pissed we got duped by this guy for sure.

As a Vikings fan, no hate for Denver, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t happy this caused some stress and frustration for Payton. I hope he stubs his toe and it never recovers. Just aches like it’s fresh for the rest of his miserable life.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

As a Broncos fan, this doesn’t feel great. We all knew it was coming, so it’s no surprise. Still, I feel like our team has serious problems and Russell Wilson wasn’t the only thing holding us back. Yeah, he’s not playing like a Super Bowl quarterback, but he proved this season that he can win some games.

I just feel like us eating all the dead money we owe him that we’re going to be broke AND looking for a quarterback again. FML.

• Joker
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

Well, you could still have him on the roster, be broke, and be looking for a new quarterback. Eating all this dead money isn’t the problem. It was signing him to a huge contract before he ever took a snap.

• jballs@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Yeah, I think every Broncos fan was scratching their head in confusion when we gave him such a huge extension without even seeing him play a preseason game.

• ClopClopMcFuckwad@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Yeah, but the Browns KNEW they were getting an “alleged” sex offender. The Broncos thought they were getting a hall of famer in his prime, instead they got a washed QB and took a massive cap hit.

• wjrii@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Our team and our fans are bipolar, but at least my Jags aren’t in the market for a washed up QB right now. I guess this could humble Russell and let him see what he truly has left in the tank, but I don’t think so.

• ME5SENGER_24@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

I like Russ, good for him. But as a fantasy player an 11-14 point QB isn’t the dude thats gonna move the needle so idk why the Broncos thought he would.

• mctoasterson@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Chiefs win back to back titles and the Donkeys are in cap hell for the foreseeable future. We are truly living in the best timeline.