This is great news, and a strong step forward.

A big part of this are the limitations around part pairing. Which often prevents repairs as the parts on the device are paired to each other and do not allow you to swap them out.

Recently this has become a problem even for EUVs like OneWheel. Who lock consumers out of repairing or modifying their devices.

• cm0002@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

Good stuff, can’t wait to see how Apple twists themselves on this one to restrict things to just Oregon lmao

But this

There’s 170 computer chips in our cell phones

Where the hell are they getting that number from lmfao, everything is fairly consolidated these days, unless they’re just counting every capacitor and resistor as a “computer chip” lol

• douglasg14b@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

No idea,but remember these statements aren’t meant for the technically inclined it’s meant for your average Joe.

It probably refers less to individual chips and more to individual components.

Hopefully right to repair laws will continue to spread which will make it difficult for companies to restrict business in specific states.

The irony here is that their constant push against a national standard for right to repair means that all these companies are now going to have to deal with slightly different laws in every single state that are an absolute nightmare to comply with.

• The wild card@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

There’s 170 computer chips in our cell phones

There are ? Welp i am rich time to sell most of em and keep 2 or 3

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    4 months ago

There’s still a lot of totally bullshit exemptions in this. Like, I can’t fix my electric toothrush? Effing reall?