I love hearing about unique takes on game mechanics. Someone recently convinced me that limited inventories are kind of abused currently and that unlimited inventory systems would give more player choices.

• salient_one@lemmy.villa-straylight.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Any sort of not respecting the player’s time: grind, making the player do the computer’s job (e.g., not having an auto-sort button for the inventory), time sinks, unskippable cutscenes, slow walking etc.

• silentdanni@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

One of the things I hate the most is when people say, “You gotta be X hours in and then it is really great!” If you have to wait for a game to get good then, in my opinion, it is not a very good game. I want to have fun right from the beginning.

• NekoRiv@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Dude same with shows. I’m sorry but if I have to watch a whole season before it gets good I’m not watching. I respect my time, they should too.

• SturgiesYrFase@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Josh Strife Hayes on YouTube brings this up all the time. If all your good content is at the end of the game, you’re doing it wrong. How can you expect new players to actually want to play your game if they have to play most of the way through to have fun?

• salient_one@lemmy.villa-straylight.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Oh, didn’t notice that the title says love or hate.

So I hate time sinks, but I love roguelikes/roguelites that have well done metaprogression and also allow you to have fun with ridiculous overpowered builds.