Machine is a HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15-eu1xxx with the touch screen. Ryzen 7 5825U, touch screen 16gb RAM.

Top recommendation of within one hour of me posting this decides what distro I install. Please not Hannah Montana linux or even worse, Arch.

I leave the decision up to you.

Edit:

The winner was linux mint. I’ve downloaded the ISO and am installing now. I hope my boss doesn’t get pissed.

• ReallyZen@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

For a better touchscreen experience, try the Gnome Desktop. Some people hate it because …because people, but I love it on my exactly-same-but-not-same latitude 7389 (Arch BTW) and thinkpad 390 yoga (Debian).

I actually like the lack of endless customisation options ; I really just change the background, install the Cube and the Wobbly Windows and I’m back to work. Which I should be at right now, sigh.

• ReallyZen@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

I’ve found it depends on version / distro. My Debian install of Firefox doesn’t feature gestures, which is frustrating all the more because the Epiphany browser has them. On Asahi, where it feels super natural on apple hardware, it woks excellently.

Now these gestures… I found myself swiping 2 fingers to go back in my file browser a lot recently and I don’t know if I come from the future or if I’m being a slightly uncoordinated smooth brain.

• Johanno@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I would have recommended mint too. Currently running it since I betrayed debian or it betrayed me.

Debian would be my next recommendation however pure debian is a bit tricky for beginners especially.

• deadlock@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

Great choice. Put it on my parent’s old office PC after yet another malware incident. Never looked back. Machine instant feels fresh and snappy again. It still runs of an HDD and has only 4GB RAM since one of the 4GB died along the way. Still a perfect office machine.

• conditional_soup@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

Idk if this is your first brush with Linux, I only recently had my own. Let us know if you need any help, but I promise that if you just follow the instructions, and you can, you’ll get through it. ChatGPT can also be useful for bridging small knowledge gaps in tech and IT.

• Vilian@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

yep, mint always, if OP don’t like the mint looks i sugest them fedora atomic(silverblue or kinoite)

• littletranspunk@lemmus.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

I have bounced around a lot and found myself just wanting something stable with enough “newness” to still feel good. I started with mint and I ended on mint.

Definitely the best one directly following windows, and in my opinion best one overall.