• taanegl@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

Came here to say this. Thinking trade and markets make capitalism is classic liberal/conservative mindrot.

• HelixDab2@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

Capitalism is when I own all the tools, and someone else does the labor in return for a small portion of the trade receipts. If the first nations people did that, then sure, the were proto-capitalists.

• conditional_soup@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

We have little to no evidence that this was the case. Unfortunately, we do have evidence that the first nations were settled, agrarian societies before smallpox and company were introduced. That’s what De Soto describes encountering 100 years before the English document that the first nations peoples live as roving hunter gatherers. Because our written historical record was only able to record what amounts to a post-apocalyptic society, and the first nations kept little written records themselves, there’s so much about Native America that we just won’t ever be sure about.

• HelixDab2@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 months ago

To be clear, I’m not saying that first nations peoples were proto-capitalists. Just what the conditions for being a capitalist are.

• DragonTypeWyvern@literature.cafe
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          4 months ago

And even if they knew what words meant…

So?

They’d still have been genocided by capitalism (in this framework). Do they think it doesn’t count when you do it to your own ideology?

Most of the criticisms about capitalism are that it eats its own young!

• Tartas1995
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 months ago

I think it is only about the meme(?) and how the premise of the content is wrong and through that any discussion about the argument itself is pointless.

Your criticism is valid but it’s based on accepting the premise that they already rejected.

• spujb@lemmy.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    4 months ago

proud of this comment section for recognizing bs when bs is present

• mozz@mbin.grits.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

I’m just here to see people in the comments taking this seriously and getting upset 😀