GET HYPE MY FELLOW NERDS

• TillieNeuen [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I had a great conversation with two friends over brunch a few months ago about how great the first movie is. Both of the guys had never read the books, but they loved the movie. I’m looking forward to this installment. I never read past the first book because the rest of the series looked like a bummer and I was fine with just leaving things where the first book left off, but if they keep making movies I may have to read the rest of them.

• Cummunism [they/them, he/him]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

it is amazing how well the movie did. 90% audience score on rotten tomatoes, i feel like half of them probably didn’t read the books. im still mad they skipped the banquet hall scene though.

• keepcarrot [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Damn, people on this site really dislike these movies.

I enjoyed it and haven’t read the books. I liked the sense of scale of all the machinery and architecture. Some scenes were goofy and cheesy. I liked the music.

Not watching the trailer though

• Cummunism [they/them, he/him]@hexbear.netOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Damn, people on this site really dislike these movies.

yea it’s funny cause by all accounts it seems like most people liked it, but us leftists seem to have some race to see who can be the most counter culture until they are just watching Yoko Ono art pieces.

• windowlicker [she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

looks good but if part 2 doesn’t really convey the point of the story and paul’s character then i will be thoroughly disappointed in villenueve.

• puff [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

He’s meant to be sort of satire, right? Not actually a hero, but a parody of sorts more like Hitler who is worshipped by millions and causes the death of millions more.

• Eris235 [undecided]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

People that say, “Oh, dune’s just another white savior story” are kinda right. Except, its a deconstruction/critique of ‘white savior’ stories in a lot of ways. Like, the book’s theme is that what Paul is doing is fucked up. Though, its not overly stressed in Dune book 1; its not uncommon for people to miss that point. I do feel like the hammered home a lot harder in books 2 and 3; anyone who doesn’t get the point that Paul’s actions are shitty, won’t really even get the plot of them, and will probably just drop the series.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

because the first movie didn’t really portray the point, a lot of people recently discounted dune for being a glorification of the “white savior” which is really sad because it is indeed a deconstruction of that trope and warning against people who try to embody it. just one of the inherent faults of adapting the huge amount of text herbert wrote for the story arc lol

• TerminalEncounter [she/her]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Paul freaked out when he ingests the spice in the desert about seeing himself lead the crusade, he was angry that so many were killing in his name, I think you just need to know the whole story to catch it which is too bad.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

satire is one way to put it, i would say more of a warning from frank herbert about charismatic personalities who use power structures in society to gain power and do terrible things, their actions then feeding a cycle of tyranny and violence.

• Evilphd666 [he/him, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

:sleepi: I see they didn’t learn anything from the 1st bland snooze inducer. And they managed to have even less color. :lea-why:

Enjoy the billion dollar tribute to sepia tone :my-hero: I don’t get it.

• im_smoke [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Dune is not set on an earth desert, it’s set on a planet where water is literally imported from offworld. It’s a fierce inhospitable planet with more in common with mars than with Arizona or Arabia. The people wear utilitarian stillsuits that collect piss and sweat to convert back to water.

• DialecticalShaman [none/use name]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

should we expect it to look exactly like earth

no, and I’m not saying we should. I’m saying that a harsh desert setting still leaves a lot of room for visual dynamism, and that Lawrence of Arabia does a good job of showing that.

It makes sense that the developed areas of Arrakis be near the spice sands, which should be vast expanse of dunes. But the exposed rock of desert is often quite beautiful and I’m looking forward to seeing it, as those places are where the Fremen settlements are.

• Beaver [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m just surprised they didn’t go for a deep blue sky to contrast against the yellow and brown tones of the desert.