• mosiacmango@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Got called out once for pronouncing epitome as Epi-tome.

That one stung more than Camus as Cah-mus instead of Cah-moo. At least thats just the French fucking with us.

• nifty@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      4 months ago

It can happen with common words too! Like I didn’t know I was pronouncing Thai food wrong till that John Oliver episode

• minibyte@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Uh, thanks for the heads up. I’ve been pronouncing epitome both correctly and incorrectly my entire adult life because for some reason I thought they were two different words.

• FreshLight@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 months ago

If anyone’s wondering and since it’s not clarified here…

Epitome is pronounced like this: ||UK|US| |phonetic|/ɪˈpɪt.ə.mi/|/ɪˈpɪt̬.ə.mi/| |non-phonetic|epittomee|epiddomee|

• VaultBoyNewVegas@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

I’ve been an avid reader since I was 6/7 and I hate reading dictionary listings with phonetic spellings as ironically they only make it harder for me to know how to pronounce a word. I’m also a native speaker.

• PatMustard@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

epiddomee

I know Americans pronounce Ts as Ds, but reading it explicitly written down is like being poked in the eye

• aidan@lemmy.world
              cake
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 months ago

Most English people have a non-rhotic accent, meaning not pronouncing the r after vowels so words like “better” become “betta”.

• PatMustard@feddit.uk
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 months ago

This one seems like it’s very accent-dependent. A cockney geezer will definitely say “be’aah”, but a geordie would say "be’eh and someone from the west country would say “betterrrr”. I think the American pronunciation makes the R sound a lot longer (you can tell I don’t know all the property linguistics words!) so anything shorter probably sounds weird to you.

• aidan@lemmy.world
                  cake
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  4 months ago

I’m sure it’s definitely regional, just like accents in the US. But generally in England at least it’s non-rhotic. I know Scotland is different, maybe Wales too

• PatMustard@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

It’s more like “cook-ooh”, the two syllables aren’t the same sound. It’s basically just the sound that actual cuckoos make.

• tigeruppercut@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        4 months ago

It’s like a hippopotamoo, but somewhat more existential and obsessed with arcana like boulders and mountains for exercise to discover happiness in life.

• nilloc
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

Para-dig-em checking in. The bulb that lit up when I connected the sound with the word was pretty bright, but made me feel awfully dim. It changed my whole paradigm.