• blackstrat@lemmy.fwgx.uk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 months ago

Oh gee, I best watch the race this week, I wonder what amazing battle there’ll be for the win!? --said no one this year

• bhmnscmm@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 months ago

If you can’t appreciate the amazing battles down the rest of the grid, then F1 simply isn’t the sport for you.

• merthyr1831@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        7 months ago

And which battles are those? There was a squabble for 12th (thankfully F1 has made any position below 10th meaningless to bother following thanks to its asinine points system!) and the main excitement was from a pay driver sticking it into the wall, turning a boring 1 stop race into a slightly confusing one stop race because (thankfully) a handful of drivers didn’t bother pitting for the safety car.

Watching F1 now is like getting edged for an hour and a half with the possibility of some artificial excitement making the race and the strategy interesting.

• The_one_and_only@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

If that is how you feel, then I suggest you stop watching. It might improve your quality of life if I read your comment right.

But maybe other people (like me) have a different opinion, so stating it as a fact is a bit much in my opinion.

• GoodEye8@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            7 months ago

Normally I’d agree but the first 2 races have been a snorefest. Literally the highlights of the last race are Norris jumping at the start, Stroll putting it into a wall and Magnussen collecting penalties. The final standings were largely the same order as the start of the race. The only exceptions are Perez overtaking Leclerc (which surprised nobody), Piastri overtaking Alonso (which happened at the start and nobody remembers) and Hamilton, Norris and Hulkenberg gambling on not pitting when everyone else pitted. That’s 90% of the race summed up in 3 sentences.

I didn’t mind last season because I didn’t care if Verstappen won everything because I was more invested in what was happening with the rest of points. This year Verstappen still wins everything but now we don’t even get any real fights down the line either. I think it’s fair to say it’s been a really boring start to the season.

• bhmnscmm@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          7 months ago

What do you mean F1 now is like getting edged for an hour and a half? What specific era would you prefer going back to? Aside from RB the teams a much closer than recent history.

Battles don’t necessarily have to be overtakes. Although there were great overtakes (or at least attempts) with Bearman, Albon, and Piastri. Piastri’s long stint and the Kmag- Hulk strategy were also exciting.

And of course there is the overall closeness of the teams. Track to track there’s no clear pecking order (excluding RB), even if within a particular weekend teams aren’t necessarily close.

• Sentau
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            7 months ago

What do you mean F1 now is like getting edged for an hour and a half? What specific era would you prefer going back to?

People see the past with rose tinted glasses. The only reason races used to have several different winners in the past was because reliability used to be atrocious which meant that even in a season with a dominant car, others would win a several times through attrition.

What used to worse was that the field spread used to be massive (4-5 seconds) and only the top 6 used to get points so even the midfield used to boring.

Yes while we are seeing more dominant runs and less variation in winners, the general quality of racing has improved.

• bhmnscmm@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              7 months ago

I couldn’t agree more. People who don’t like fundamental differences in car performance would enjoy spec series much more than F1. F1 not being a spec series and still having this close of racing is pretty great.

• blackstrat@lemmy.fwgx.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        7 months ago

I agree, but I think there are plenty who dont and just aren’t interested in who gets the last point or the battles for 17th.